JIRA couldn't create the jira.home directory

Devendra kori February 18, 2019

Trying to deploy the Jira - software image on the kubernetes cluster and mapping the jira home to host path but getting below error.

2019-02-18 13:09:41,675 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] JIRA couldn't create the jira.home directory
2019-02-18 13:09:41,675 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.jira.health.HealthChecks] Ensure JIRA has permission to create and write to the jira.home directory /var/atlassian/jira.
Review our documentation for more information on setting your JIRA home.

Please advise.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2019

Check if the user running JIRA has write access on the Home directory or the location of the proposed home directory.

Devendra kori February 20, 2019

Thank you Jobin, I changed the hostpath user and group to root:root looks like its working after that... will test it now and see how it goes. 

pes June 6, 2019

What is the Home directory? Is it /var/atlassian/jira?

I set mine which is at /var/atlassian/application-data-/jira permission to 777 but with no success.

Adrian Stephen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 7, 2020

Which image are you using? Have you tried the official image from https://hub.docker.com/r/atlassian/jira-software ?

0 votes
Joseph Sujith Raj J
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
February 7, 2020

Recently I encountered a similar problem while using cloned data. I found the issue with soft links. Please check in case you have soft links for attachments, export, and cache.

Frank Wenzel
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2020

Good anwers, that solved the issue for me. Just recreate the softlink after first start.

Suggest an answer