JIRA automation - cloned issue linking

Jaipal Singh April 23, 2021

Hi,

used automation to create a cloned issue on a new board but getting issues when trying to link the new issue to the master issue - is this possible within JIRA automation?

thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

As of now, there's not a specific rule to satisfy the requirement of linking the recently cloned issue to the parent issue. Based upon your current configuration as multiple users working simultaneously and having a difference in their network speed it might link with different issue.

We're using Jira Cloud and it's 'jira automation' as the executing user. So would a user's network speed still factor in that?

Thanks for your help

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 23, 2021

Then network may not be an issue. How the issues are being added to the board? bulk?

Jaipal Singh April 26, 2021

Issues are added using automation but I'd only expect 1 or 2 per hour

Like Kevin Johnson likes this
0 votes
jordandmccombs July 28, 2022

I was able to do this more reliably by creating a variable in my automation rule and linking the tickets to the variable. Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 9.24.13 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-07-28 at 9.24.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 9.24.39 PM.png

0 votes

I've solved it by using the link to 'most recently created item' but wondering if we had a lot of rules firing at the same time that created stuff - would this inadvertently link to another or would it do so in the context of this current thread/rule?

Kevin Johnson
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 23, 2021

Since the rule is not precise about which issue to link with, it has chances to link with another issue, so as of now there's not a specific rule to satisfy the requirement of linking the recently cloned issue to the parent issue.

Chris Scheepers September 1, 2023

Has this since been resolved ?

Its quite an important feature to link a cloned issue to the trigger issue .

The option is in Automation, why is it not working ?

Regards

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events