JIRA and MS SQL in Linux Server

Approver1 October 10, 2019

Hi,

Now we have JIRA and MS SQL in Linux Server (Ex: Linux 1).

JIRA Name: Organization 1.

MS SQl Name: db19.cx.corp.val.inc ( Database Name: Atlassian_JIRA_Test1 )

Linux Server Name: Linux1

for other purpose, We will prepare another linux server (Linux2) for New JIRA and exiting MS SQL with new DB (Atlassian_JIRA_New)

Can I create New DB (Atlassian_JIRA_New) in “db19.cx.corp.val.inc” and give the new db details while install time in JIRA. 

Or else, shall I install new MS SQL in New linux server (Linux 2)?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 11, 2019

Hi @Approver1 , happy to answer this one for you.

Creating a new database in your existing MS SQL instances is definitely possible. As long as the database name and user name used to connect to the database are different from your existing Jira database, you should be able to do this without worry of accidentally connecting one Jira server to the other's database.

You can simply follow the instructions for creating a new database in MS SQL that we've got documented here. Just be sure the new database name and database user are unique :)

I'll also note that while I'm not sure you're using MS SQL 2019 from your post, it is not officially supported yet in the most recent release of Jira, per our supported platforms page. We use a JDBC driver to connect to SQL server though, so it's entirely possible it could work correctly without any issues. Atlassian just has not officially tested and certified MS SQL 2019 against Jira yet. Work on that is being tracked as JRASERVER-69989 on our public Jira instance.

Cheers,
Daniel

Approver1 October 14, 2019

Hi Daniel, 

MSSQL 2014.png

This is our MSSQL 2014 server, This server for production databases of JIRA (JIRA_Prod), Confluence (Conf_Prod), Bamboo (Bam_Prod) and etc.

Now, we are building new linux server (RHEL 7) for JIRA.

My Question: without install MSSQL 2014 in new linux server. Can I connect MSSQL server with New DB JIRA (JIRA_Dev) while installing new JIRA in New Server. 

By using above Server Name, login and Password. (with new login and password). 

if yes, can copy any DB driver in new linux server. 

if no, what is the process?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 14, 2019

Hi @Approver1 - you can use a new database on your existing SQL server with your new Jira install.

The Jira installation already contains the database driver needed to connect to MS SQL 2014 - you do not need to copy this over from an existing server.

As far as configuring the database with Jira - in your new install, the first time you start Jira it will ask you for these details in the web interface. The relevant instructions from our SQL 2014 document:

The Jira setup wizard will display when you access Jira for the first time in your browser.

1. In the first screen, 'Configure Language and Database', set Database Connection to My own database.
  2. Set Database Type to SQL Server.
  3. Fill out the fields, as described in Database connection fields.
  4. Test your connection and save.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer