JIRA and Bitbucket Integration

Peter Acevski August 8, 2016

I am new to JIRA and I am new to Bitbucket. Further, I have little experience with GIT.

I run a small Web Development company and I want to switch to GIT/Bitbucket and JIRA because we are scaling up and I am sold on how fantastic this product can be at managing my projects and future projects.

I am however very confused about how JIRA and Bitbucket talk to each other.

I will try to explain how I think this should work.

My company currently employs 4 people including myself.

The company owns a JIRA instance that is being hosted by Atlassian/In the cloud.

We are a web development firm.

3 of the employees are developers. 1 of those developers is me.

Now,

Should I make my developers create Bitbucket accounts specifically just for my company/work? Or can/should they use their personal bitbucket accounts?

I am one of the developers. I currently have a personal bitbucket account and I have linked it to the company JIRA through the DVCS account link.

Does 1 JIRA user have a corresponding Bitbucket account?

If my developers have Bitbucket accounts, how do I add them to my organisation in JIRA/Bitbucket so that I can control company projects and assign developers to projects?

When I create a new project in BitBucket, how does that project get reflected in JIRA, does it just automatically become a new project? Does the same occur vice-versa, that is, if I create a new project in JIRA, can it become a new repository/project in Bitbucket?

I am very confused in how to set this up for my business in a best practice.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Chris Dunne
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 9, 2016

I agree - it is quite confusing.

Bitbucket and JIRA Cloud have separate user databases (and therefore do not share usernames), so your users will need to have accounts in both products. In fact Bitbucket identifies users by email address. The linking between a JIRA account and a Bitbucket account is through OAuth tokens which are created the first time you try to perform an operation in Bitbucket from JIRA e.g. create a branch.

To check if your users already have a Bitbucket account, you can search for users by email address in Bitbucket (instead of username). If they don't, you'll can invite them from the same screen.To make this process easier, you can set up the DVCS connector to automatically invite new JIRA users to Bitbucket: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/BITBUCKET/Configure+automatic+team+invitations

I'd recommend having separate company Bitbucket accounts, and not have developers use their personal accounts. It is likely their personal accounts will use personal email addresses.

Within Bitbucket you need to control who has access to the repositories. You can do this with permissions, groups and teams see https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/bitbucket-cloud-teams-321853005.html

Projects in Bitbucket are completely separate from projects in JIRA. They are not synchronized or linked. If you are using JIRA there is probably no need for projects in Bitbucket.

Hope this helps.

Chris
https://getjirified.com

Peter Acevski August 9, 2016

Thanks Chris, that does answer a lot of questions. 1 more quick question if I can. Every developer I have will have a company Bitbucket account. Do I need to make sure every Bitbucket account is linked to JIRA as a DVCS account?

Or, should I make 1 more additional Bitbucket account that represents the company as a whole, and link only that to JIRA as a DVSC account? 

Jim Scott December 19, 2017

Peter, I see you did not get a response to your last question. What did you end up doing? Anything you can share about your decisions and what you ended up with?

Peter Acevski December 20, 2017

Hi Jim,

When a Bitbucket user creates a Team in Bitbucket you have the ability to link that Team to your JIRA account through DVSC. The Team behaves as its own account and the Teams creator becomes an Admin by default. From here you can add as many users as you want with whatever permissions you want.

I suggest creating work bitbucket accounts for your developers and using one of the managers accounts to create the team. Then link the Team to JIRA.

Remember, when creating new feature branches or commits that relate to a JIRA ticket, to use the ticket code in the name somewhere. JIRA will automatically find any branches and commits that have a ticket code in them and link them to the associated ticket.

Suggest an answer