JIRA adding a sub-task, does it inherit fixversion and attributes from parent?

Connie October 7, 2019

I have created the initial story, and now I am adding sub-tasks by using the "plus" sign to add to the parent.  I thought attributes such as the fixversion for the release would be inherited from the parent when I used this function.  I haven't used JIRA in a while but I thought it used to do this. Is it a setting by the "admin".  I hate having to go back and edit all of my subtasks to add the fix version to all the JIRAs. I know I can do bulk update but still this is annoying.  

2 answers

1 vote
Tuncay Senturk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 7, 2019

Hi @Connie 

@Kat Warner  is definitely right if you're using out-of-box Jira without any app.

There is also a Copy to Subtask Plugin which is a free app, and you can copy the fields/custom fields to subtasks.

However, you need to do a lot. Change workflows. But what about editing the issue? When the parent issue's field changes you have to change subtasks as well.

You can use alternatives like marketplace apps. For instance, Enhancer Plugin for Jira (at this point I should say that I'm the product owner of this app and I work for Snapbytes) has Parent issue field/custom field feature. You can easily define a custom field for the subtasks which will directly show parent or linked issue's fields/custom fields.

Hope it helps

Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 7, 2019

Thanks for covering the Marketplace app options @Tuncay Senturk .

1 vote
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
October 7, 2019

I was able to track down an answer to this from 2013!

This needs to be configured. In the subtasks workflow create transition, just add the post function Set field value from parent.

The following tips were also provided:

A few things I've noticed that might help others:

* You do NOT need separate workflows for sub-types. Using only one workflow means that any non-sub-typ issue will try inheriting values from it's parent, but since it doesn't have one, nothing will happen, and it will use the values entered on creation.

* System Fields (like Component/s) need to be inherited BEFORE the "create initially" step

* Custom Fields can be placed AFTER the "create initially" step.

* You can have a field mandatory in parent issues and let it be inherited to sub-tasks and make the field optional in the subtask field configuration, then remove the field from the sub task create screen, that way user cannot enter a value only to see it being over-written by the inheritance function. Then make the field visible and mandatory in the edit screen, so that you can change the value in the sub-task later if you need to, still forcing the field to have a value.

Hope it helps!

Suggest an answer