JIRA Webhook to ServiceNow

Brian March 19, 2018

We are working with a to send data from JIRA to ServiceNow.  How to we get webhook to always send the json to ServiceNow with specific credentials every time?  Every other app I have ever use has a place to put in the username and password.  

2 answers

1 vote
brbojorque
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 19, 2019

It looks like you don't understand how Webhook works.

Whenever there is an event in Jira a Webhook will be triggered, usually in the form of a POST request.

The request will be pointed to the ServiceNow, the problem now is if ServiceNow accepts the request which I don't think will be doable.

What you can do is create a middleware for both services. 

JIRA --> Middleware --> ServiceNow

• Jira triggers a Webhook request to the Middleware
  • Middleware accepts the POST request 
    • You have to identify and secure the connection and CORS settings
  • Middleware then processes the POST request and properly map the key values that ServiceNow can understand.
  • Middleware then create a POST request to ServiceNow API to record the data
    • This is the time the middleware needs authentication

The middleware will need the credentials of ServiceNow so it can access the API and then create the ticket.

The best way to do the development is to use ngrok.io and you can even deploy it as a production service.

Another alternative for this is to use AWS Lamda to act as middleware.

-

That being said find any add-on that can accomplish your requirements and then resort to Webhook solution.

0 votes
Diana_Architect_ZigiWave
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 17, 2022

Brian, hello. I see that there is a pretty neat explanation about using webhooks and hope this helped you solve your issue. In case you decide to try another approach towards Jira ServiceNow integration, I'd like to propose taking a look at ZigiOps. It's a flexible tool that will help you connect the two systems bi-directionally, and transfer any data - tickets, in your case. 

Feel free to take a look at it and if you want to see it in action - you can always book a demo

Diana (ZigiWave)

Suggest an answer