JIRA Software project permission - restrict users between projects

Sebastian Madunic March 16, 2018

I have read most of the articles and guides from the support pages and I thought that I understood how permissions are used but I still can't get it right. 

I have a Jira Cloud instance with 5 projects. So far I have used the default permission schemes, groups etc provided by the Cloud. It works fine BUT as for many others I would like to separate users so that specific users can access only a specific project. 

So I did a simple test. I have a Project, Group and User

This is what I have done:

• Created group "TeamA"
  • Added a User to "TeamA"
  • Removed the User from "jira-software-users"
  • Created a permission scheme "ProjectA_PS".
  • Removed all default roles, users and groups from the ProjectA_PS and added only my created group and jira-administrators to the permission scheme.
  • Updated Jira Software projectA to use the "ProjectA_PS".

The User is only member in the TeamA group and nothing else. He has Jira software access.

Still when I login as User I can see all other projects and issues we have in our Jira Cloud...I just don't get it??

What have I done wrong? Please don't mention Roles, I have to solve this first before I start using Roles.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

Check your default permission scheme used by the other projects, it is usually set so that logged on users can browse projects and view issues.

Hmm...I think I understand what you write but I still don't get it. My user is only member of TeamA group and nothing else. Can he still browse projects due to a setting in a default user group that he is not member in? In that case the default permission scheme overrides my scheme...interesting. I assume that you refer to all instances of "Anyone logged in" in the default permission scheme. I will check.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2018

If the permission scheme for the projects that your user should not see is set to allow anyone that is logged in to Jira to browse the projects, it does not matter which groups/roles the user have. You need to change all permission schemes if you want to limit project access.

Project Permissions.png

Jippii!!

You are right @Mikael Sandberg, I just had to disable "Anyone logged in" for the default schemes that jira created. After that it worked as expected. Now I have created a permission scheme with roles and assigned this scheme to all my projects and it works just like I wanted.

Thanks for the assistans!!

0 votes
Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

Can you check if that user was directly added to other project's permission scheme or project roles.

This user was by default added to a group called "jira-software-users". I removed him from that group and he is only member of my "TeamA" group now.

Aswin Achuthan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2018

Double check using Project Roles from user management,

"Administration" > "User management" > Search for the user > Open user page > click down arrow next to "Reset password" > "View Project Roles"

The users is listed for one project only ProjectA and has a green dot in the "Developer" column. The two other columns (Administrators and atlassian-addons-project-access) are red.

Developer is a Role I try to use now since the group thing didn't work.

Suggest an answer