JIRA: Single Level Group By Report - Custom Field not available to select as statistic Type

George Kouris February 3, 2017

I created a custom field called Severity

I then went to do some reporting - wanted to show all defects and group by severity

The custom field - "Severity" isn't even available in the Statistic Type drop down for me to select

Seriously?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2017

What type of field is it, and does it have a searcher?

George Kouris February 3, 2017

Select List (single choice) Custom Field

What is a searcher?

I simply  tried to perform a simple filter on this new custom field of severity within my Project....whats crazy is that I see Severity as a column

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 4, 2017

A searcher is a block of code that tells JIRA how to index and search for data in the field.

A single-select will default to having a select-list searcher, and it is very unusual for an admin to ever remove a searcher, but you should check.  Go to admin -> custom fields -> your field -> edit - the searcher selected should appear under the name of the field.

If there is no searcher, this behaviour would make sense - it can't report on fields there is no reporting data for.  But if there is a searher, it becomes a bit more complex.

MilanCiti January 5, 2019

Hello Nic,

I have similar case, one of our custom field has searcher template : Free Text Searcher and it doesn't not appear in drop down list Statistics Type. We have JIRA tickets that have custom field populated and JIRA had been re-index. Is there any suggestion, what to do?

Thank you.

Regards,

Milan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2019

It won't appear for the group by report because it's nonsense for a free text field.  Each value in a free text field is expected to be different, so all you would get is a group with 1 line for every issue.

If your information is logically group-able, then you've used the wrong type of field to capture it.

MilanCiti January 8, 2019

Hi Nic,

It make sense, thank you for your confirmation.

Regards,

Milan

Suggest an answer