JIRA Resolution field definition

AJAY KOTNALA March 4, 2021

Do we have any documentation/confluence page with Jira best practices that include some directions to follow like when to use Won't' Fix, Duplicate & Postoned resolution field. A definition of each would be a help.

Wont'Fix:

Duplicate: 

Postponed:

1 answer

1 vote
Kat Warner
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 4, 2021

Here is Atlassian's Best practices on using the "Resolution" field however it does give advice of when/how to use specific options.

Im my experience:
* 'Won't Fix' is used when a fix will not be implemented for reasons like that version of the software is not supported any more. 

* 'Duplicate' is used on one or more issues/requests raised for the same issue (possibly by the same person) either because they forget they already logged the issue/request or duplicate issues/request were created by auto-replies and badly-formatted replies to open Jira Service Management requests.

* 'Postponed' is not one I have used as it is not really a resolution - the work still need to be done at some point so a Blocked or Postponed status would make more sense.

AJAY KOTNALA March 4, 2021

Thank you, Kate. I will go through the shared page.

Suggest an answer