JIRA - Repeated Tasks

Hi All,

I need to create a set of repeated tasks ( Report Creation, Unit Testing, Testing, etc) for different modules.  The modules will differ but the tasks would remain same and the assignee and duration can differ. What is the simple way to use JIRA to create such repeated tasks.

Padma

2 answers

Hi Padma,

There are a number of solutions to your problem, here are a few for you to consider.

1. Create a set of template tasks in a project with all the common details that you require. Then using the issue filter select those which you want to apply to the latest module. Clone these issues and then link the new clones to your new module and move to the correct project.
    This works fine for a small number of occurrences and requires no additional plugins. 
    Requires the user to have browse permission on the source project and create permission in the destination project.  
    Easy to change the definition of a task in the source project. 
  2. As for 1 but use the Clone+ plugin from Bob Swift which enables you to do clone and move at the same time.
    This reduces the opportunity for missing an issue on the move action.
    Requires the user to have browse permission on the source project and create permission in the destination project.  
  3. If the set of tasks is completely defined then it may make sense to have a step in the workflow which can be actioned to create the tasks as a step. This can be a self-referencing step that leaves the issue in the same status. If I was implementing this approach I would implement something similar to this using ScriptRunner as my scripting language.
    1. Have a hidden field to say whether tasks have/not been created.
    2. Have a multi-select list field for the list of tasks to be created.
    3. Workflow step create is only available if project administrator OR hidden field shows tasks not created.
      Loop through the multi-select list creating each task (potentially checking it does not already exist) and linking it to the module.
      Set the hidden field to be tasks created
    This works well for when you want to give the permission to create to a less experienced user of JIRA as it is all automated but it is harder to change the specifics of each task as it requires coding changes.

I am sure others may suggest other approaches equally valid options for you.

Phill

I would recommend the scheduler plugin, which allows automated creations based on many different criteria:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/pl.com.tt.jira.plugin.theschedulerpro/server/overview

We us it, works great.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

783 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you