JIRA Portfolio team field on issue create

Nick Fannin July 26, 2019

Without explaining the extensive customization, I’m using JIRA and Portfolio cloud. I have the Portfolio “team” field surfaced as a custom field in JIRA and it appears on several issuetypes and in several projects. When creating a new issue as an admin in both products, the field behaves as a normal custom field. When creating a new issue as another user without admin, the field is present (help text visible), but the dropdown with Portfolio teams is not visible and users cannot interact with the field. Once the issue is created, the team field is editable and behaves as a normal custom field for all users.

Does anyone know what permission, in which product, drives this behavior? I experimented with no luck. My end goal is to allow non admins the ability to select a portfolio team on creation of a new issue.

1 answer

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2019

HI Nick,

As the field is showing up for some users on create and is editable for all users once created it does not sound like any permission conflict is occuring, I would guess that the user in question has the screen field configuration set to a custom level and the team field is not selected.

Have the user create an issue and then in the upper right corner of the Create issue screen, select the "configure fields" drop down and look for the teams field like this:

Screen Shot 2019-07-29 at 2.40.49 PM.png

They can either select the team field directly to maintain a custom level or select the "all" option to show all fields per the system settings.

Let me know if this is the case

Regards,
Earl

Nick Fannin August 26, 2019

Hi Earl, thanks for the reply.  It's not that the field shows up sometimes and not other times, it's that the dropdown for the field is acting abnormally.  This is happening for all normal users, not specific ones.  I have not experimented with other admin users yet.

"Teams" field is selected in screenshot 1.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 16.52.19.png

However, the dropdown is not showing in screenshot 2.  Ignore the "Scrum Team" custom field - it's not relevant here.

Screen Shot 2019-07-12 at 15.56.59.png

I've run into another odd behavior.  When clicking the global "+" create button, this issue occurs where the "team" field is visible, but no dropdown is available, however, when the same user selects "+ create issue" directly in the backlog from a backlog view, the field behaves normally and the dropdown is available.

Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 27, 2019

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the screenshot and this occurs when the user is missing a global permission for portfolio granting them the ability to see the fields, the minimum being the "Portfolio for Jira Viewer" permission, which grants a user the ability to browse and view plans in read-only mode.

But in addition to viewing the plan in portfolio in read only, if you expose the portfolio field on a screen in Jira then the View permission is required to see the contents of the field but as the field is exposed to jira the user can create or edit an issue then the field will be able to be modified jira side. 

When a Portfolio Field is  added to a screen in Jira, the user can update parent links, teams, and target dates of issues on the jira side where that user has permission to edit the issue.

Regards,
Earl

Chris Covert April 20, 2021

Having the same issue but with sub-tasks only.

Is this just a limitation of sub-tasks, they don't allow Advanced RoadMaps Team field to be updated?

Like Dave likes this
Dave
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2021

Hi @Chris Covert,

It's not possible to update the Team for a sub-task because it's considered part of the issue (in a plan the sub-task will always inherit the Team value from it's parent issue). This is why you also can't have a different sprint for a sub-task, the sub-task considered to be part of the issue.

Regards,

Dave

Like Earl McCutcheon likes this

Suggest an answer