JIRA Outgoing email address based on project?

NathanG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 13, 2013

I've configured JIRA to use a different inbound email address for each project:

ABC@mycompany.com

QRS@mycompany.com

These email "addresses" are really aliases that point to the same email box.

Question: when email is sent from JIRA for issues in the "QRS" project, is it possible to have the "from" email address be "QRS@mycompany.com"? (And same for the "ABC" project... is it possible to have email sent from "ABC@mycompany.com"?)

Thanks!
--

Nathan

4 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Valentijn Scholten
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2014

Hello,

This is possible, go to Administration for your ABC project. Goto Notifications in the menu on the left. You can set a "reply-to" email address that will be used as from address.

This is in 6.1. In other version the menu structure for the admin portal might be slightly different.

Valentijn

Kristin Bitler June 8, 2017

While I've edited the address to reflect the AD address we would like to use, it's still using our default outgoing smtp address.

We're in v. 7.2.7 and I'm looking to do the same for one project. However, I'm not finding anything for setting a "reply-to" email address. Email.png

Jeffrey Hoover April 3, 2018

This is a show stopper for us. We need emails from the service desk to come from the service desk and not be mashed with the rest of Jira. Internal SD tickets, External SD tickets, JIRA Bugs should all have separate reply to addresses. 

Like # people like this
Maksim Smetannikov
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2018

UP!

Amit Geller May 10, 2018

If i add the correct mail address to the notification scheme and its not aligned with smtp settings nothing is being send out.

Daniel Beaudoin August 30, 2018

This is a problem for us also. Why is it not possible to define a different outgoing e-mail for jira service desk and jira software? We do not want our support reply coming out of the service desk to come from the same email than the one use for all other jira software notification

Like # people like this
2 votes
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Im pretty sure the Catch Email feature is solely for matching addressee to correlate between a mail handler and a given address. Ive never seen catchemail values used in anything relating to outbound mail servers and...

JIRA has only one outbound mailserver. It is possible to set a different outbound email address at an API level, JEMH does this. But. The related smtp server is not obligated to use that address, and will either ignore it (gmail) or explode spectacularly (exchange) if you try this without jumping through the mail-server specific hoops in order to get this to work. Gmail requires two way link clicking to validate ownership of the other address, Exchange needs lots of clicks - not my field.

So, the answer to the question is that:

1. No you canot affect the outbound smtp address of your email as you describe using standard JIRA

2. You can affect the outbound smtp address of your email, as presented to your mailserver in a JEMH Per-Profile setting. Your mailserver must be configured to allow all your addresses, or be wide open (this is effectively allowing your JIRA to masquerade as anyone on the network - talk to your mail server admin, he will likely discourage this!)

3. You could write your own mail handler, but the mailserver issue still applies.

NathanG
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Thank you for the thorough answer... this is what I had expected (although I hoped for something else).

Thank you!

0 votes
Ryan Pesta January 14, 2014

We use Google Apps and I got this working by:

1) Setting up a "catch all" GMail account, such as jira@company.com

2) Setup a "Groups" alias for ABC@company.com& QRS@company.comin GApps Admin......both forwarding to jira@company.com(make sure you set the proper permissions to your liking)

3) In JIRA, each project you can set the "Notification Scheme" email address to ABC@company.comfor one project and QRS@company.comfor another project.

4) Set your outgoing mail server with the credentials from jira@company.com...youmust also setup the alias' INSIDE of GMAIL for both ABC@company.comand QRS@company.comto allow GMail to send "from" that address - https://support.google.com/a/answer/33327?hl=en

5) You will now setup an incoming mail handler for each project all grabbing mail from the jira@company.comaddress and using a catch-all address to specify which mail goes where

That should be it. Notification emails should come from each projects specified email address, and all reply emails will be routed properly from User >> GMail >> JIRA >> Project

0 votes
StevenA
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

Hi Nathan,

You can use Catch Email Address feature for this. Refer to: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+Issues+and+Comments+from+Email

Best Regards,

Steven

NathanG
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2013

This only seems to be for incoming, not outgoing.

Suggest an answer