JIRA Notifications

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2012

Hi,

1. How do I send automatically email notification to a specific user for any creation/change of a specific issue type? i.e. Send to user XXX any bug created or changed?

2. How do I add CC (specific user(s)) to an issue while I create it. i.e. When I create a specific story, I want to add user YYY so she'll get notification on any change?

Thanks,

Janiv.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Neal Applebaum
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 15, 2012

It's really easy to create a "cc:" field. I have it in virtually all my projects, and the nice thing is that you can add people to the list during issue creation. You can't add a "watcher" at issue creation.

There's lots of detail on issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-5493 and Atlassian even posted exact step by step instructions, which while old, are probably still relevant.

I also added this comment to that issue on the pros and cons of each approach:

1) There is no security around managing cc lists, but there is for watch lists
2) You can add a cc at issue creation but not a watcher
3) You can add a cc during a workflow transition (I've added it to the Resolve and Reopen workflow screens), which comes in really handy when you want someone (like the boss) to know that an issue has been re-opened.
4) There is an audit trail of when a user was added to or removed from cc list, but no such audit for watchers
5) User must have Edit permission to add themselves to cc: list, but need only have Browse permission to add themselves as a watcher.

We use cc a lot, and watchers hardly at all.

GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2012

Thanks, and how do you set the CCs to get email notification automatically?

Thanks again,

J.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 16, 2012
2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 15, 2012
  1. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme
  2. I'd add a multi-user-picker called cc and then add the field to the notification scheme
GilK
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 15, 2012

Thanks,

1. I can't find it... would you please help?

2. How do I do it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 16, 2012

1. Er, follow the link, it's valid?

2. As documented in the link, it's really not complicated to add "user field" to a notification scheme if you follow the instructions.

Suggest an answer