JIRA - Move projects query

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Hi All

In JIRA, we often move isues from one project to another.

Once the issue is moved, we can always trace the source project by clicking the history tab on the view issue screen.

My question is we do not want to reveal this information to our users that the issue was moved from which source project.

Can this be achieved?

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2013

Not without code. The point of an issue tracker is that it keeps a history. Moving issues between projects is part of the history, so it gets logged and tracked.

Your coding approaches are probably:

• Write a new "move" function that doesn't log the change,
  • Find/write something that could catch the "move" event and delete the history
  • Hack the core of Jira amending the existing move function so that it doesn't log the move
  • Hack the "display issue" view so that the history event is not rendered (or is only rendered if a user matches specific criterea like "is admin")

Unusually, I'd recommend the last one. My normal instinct is to avoid changing the core of Jira for support and upgrade reasons, but in this case, amending the issue view is probably the most simple code change, and it avoids damaging the data - it's still logged, just not shown. It avoids additional processes and data writes too.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 21, 2013

Thanks Nic for your answer. This clarifies my doubt that there is no out of box implementation available within JIRA.

KP11
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 17, 2013

Do you have an Oracle DB query that cando it?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2013

That's always an option with direct access to the SQL, but you've got two instant problems - first that you need Jira offline while you run the SQL, and re-indexing is needed after that. Second, you can only do it for existing issues, if anyone moves an issue again, you'll need to stop, run SQL, reindex every single time.

Seriously though, don't do it. The hack in the database will literally destroy the issue history. All of it. Gone. Forever. In implementation terms, you might as well go back to shared spreadsheets or post-it notes which can lose your history really quickly.

Please. Stick to option 4 on my list above - hide the data, don't destroy it.

Suggest an answer