JIRA - Migrating from Server to Cloud

directfinewineaccess February 14, 2018

Hello,

We are actually trying to import our Jira Server to a Jira Cloud.

Problem is, our Jira Server isn't up to date (7.2.3), and we've tried to import data using xml files as explained here :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/importing-issues-776636788.html

But sadly, this doesn't work, it just created part of the user database, but nothing else. Since our Jira isn't up to date, i guess it's not that surprising, but we don't have a licence anymore.

The questions are :

- Are we having no choice but to get a Jira Server licence to update our Jira Server, then only could we import it in Jira Cloud ?

This seems like a waste since we're gonna migrate it after we've updated it.

- Or maybe we have an issue with the backup/import process ?

I tought it would give back an error if it couldn't import due to versions problem, but we ain't get any errors, it seems like working but our Jira Cloud is still empty (except some created users (2 out of 13 created))

Thanks,

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

Whats the size of the xml?

activeobjects.xml = 694Ko

entities.xml = 8.6Mo

Our Jira has quite a small number of issues, so i didn't tought about it, and this doesn't seems like an amount that would get us into trouble.

Danyal Iqbal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

indeed. If there is no issue, I am inclined to believe the import has finished successfully. This might be an access issue. see managing access

Seems like there was a problem with the user i used to import the Jira project :

I've redone the whole importing process, reactivate access, but still not seeing anything.

But then i switch to another user used in the old project : everything seemed fine.

I went back to the administrator account, and there i could see all  the users created properly. Dunno if the import just had some issues before or if i changed

Much appreciated, thanks !

Suggest an answer