JIRA - Migrating from Server to Cloud

Bryan Trummer Community Champion Oct 02, 2017

I am moving from our current situation of JIRA server to JIRA Cloud. Is there an easy way to migrate the data over or is this all a manual effort?

1 answer

1 accepted

Although importing from the JIRA Server backup file works fine, there is no process to import Avatars, Logos, and Attachments.  This essentially makes moving to the cloud almost impossible as the task to manually attach all of the files to issues would take forever given the amount of issues and attachments a company would have after several years of experience using Server.

The linked document is also outdated as the Cloud version of JIRA does not contain a link for "JIRA Import".  The options under Import and Export header are: Backup manager, External System Import, and Restore system.

I used Restore system which only allows importing a JIRA Server backup file created using JIRA Server Backup manager.

Any suggestions on how to get the at least the attachments imported into JIRA Cloud from my JIRA Server and linked back up to the issues correctly?  Avatars and Logos I can live without.

I'm trying a modify JIRA Server backup zip file with the following structure.

|---activeobjects.xml
|---entities.xml
|---data
       |---attachments
|---logos

We'll see if this works.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira Service Desk

How the Telegram Integration for Jira helps Sergey's team take their support efficiency to the bank

...+ reading Fantasy). The same is true for him at the bank he works for: Efficiency is key when time literally equals money. Read on to learn how Sergey makes most of the time he has by...

350 views 2 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you