• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

JIRA - Manually writing Wiki format in new Issue screen does not work

Hey there, 

I have noticed that in the old JIRA issue screen if I were to manually type up the wiki format for say a header as shown below it will render the Wiki format correctly.

h1. I have manually added this heading  

When using the new screen if I create a comment and input the above it will not render it on the front end. When inspecting the UI element there is only a <p> tag with the text. In the old screen when inspecting the element the is a <h1> tag with content.

Regards, Phil 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Syauqi Atlassian Team Oct 16, 2018

Hi Philip,

Did you perhaps input the wikimarkup header "h1." in the comment section while on the new JIRA issue view? If so, the tag won't be rendered on the frontend automaticly as the new viewer doesn't recognise the format:

Screenshot 2018-10-17 at 9.03.52 AM.png

<p>‌h1. I have manually added this heading</p>
<h1><a name="Ihavemanuallyaddedthisheading"></a>I have manually added this heading</h1> 

Do let me know if this is not the case. Hope you can elaborate on the steps.

Cheers, Syauqi

Yea this is the exact case. Is there a reason why the new view does not recognise the wiki format ? 

Cheers, Phil 

As mentioned here New Atlassian Editor, we'll eventually phase out the wiki markup on future editor in favour of universal markdown syntax.

Here's the example formating shortcuts that you can use for the new editor:

• ## This is H2 style (we support H2–H5)
  • **bold** for bold
  • *italic* for italic
  • ``` for a code block
  • [this is link text](www.atlassian.com) for this is link text
  • * for bulleted lists (like this one (wink))
  • 1. for numbered lists

Hope this explains.

Cheers, Syauqi

This explains it very well Syauqi thank you!

No worries Philip. Happy to help :) 

Hey @Syauqi I just wanted to double check something. You mentioned that Jira will eventually deprecate  the "custom" wiki in favour of a universal markdown syntax.

My first question is will this change also apply to Jira server as well as cloud. 

Also is there a place to look out for updates on when this will happen along with other development updates? 

Cheers, Phil

Syauqi Atlassian Team Oct 18, 2018

Thanks for the question Philip, there haven't been any progress for the suggestion nor re-introducing archived markdown Jira labs plugin. If you are interested on the capability, please do keep an eye out and leave a feedback on this active thread for any changes and updates: Markdown for JIRA Add-On compatibility. Though, there's no guarentee that the feature will be implemented or any ETA that I could provide to you.

If you have any other questions, please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

Thanks again for your feedback!

If wiki markup will not be supported, what happens to the almost 3,000 Jira issues my Org has created over 3 1/2 years using Wiki markup?  We refer back to them as a form of documentation, but it sounds like alot of formatting will end up getting scrambled. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you