JIRA Mail Handler not creating issues even Jira can access the mail account

Sedo IT May 13, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: JIRA Mail Handler not creating issues

JIRA Mail Handler not creating issues even Jira can access the mail account and delete it.

I cannot find why JIRA do not create issues from emails, it worked before for us. Do we have log to check 

if JIRA take and emails and processes the email to issue ?

4 answers

1 vote
Parthiban October 24, 2017

Hi,

Issues not creating from the mail handler. Mail handler Test Configuration ran successfully. So, no issues from configuration side.

1) POP/IMAP Mail Server test connection successfull

Capture.PNG2) Mail handler configuration also working fine. Test message showing as two Issues created and it showing with reporter name, but it showing wrong reporter name .

configured reporter name not showing in test message, and am not able to saw any issue which created from mail handler

Mail handler.png

we having general mailbox xxx@abc.com , mail will delivered to this mailbox from there based on the rules it will move to separate folders.

My mail handler reading the correct folder and it showing the correct count.

currently am using Jira v7.3.6

kindly explain me where am missing.

Thanks,

Parthiban

Parthiban October 30, 2017

Problem solved.

Schuyler Bishop April 20, 2018

Hi Parthiban, 

I am having a similar issue. How did you resolve? 

Thanks,

Schuyler

Parthiban April 23, 2018

Hi Schuyler,

Kindly check your workflow Create transition. The validators in workflow will affect the jira Email handler functionality.

Thanks,

Parthiban

Schuyler Bishop April 23, 2018

Thanks, Parthiban. I actually got it to work and it wasn't the workflow (in my case). I checked the logs and realized that the message was being deleted before Jira was able to read it and create the issue. So, even though the config and "Test Run Results" were both green, the issue wasn't being created for this reason. I created a new folder for the mail to go into and had the mail handler read from that folder only. It worked after that. 

Thanks!

Schuyler

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 13, 2016

The log file will contain warnings for the emails, such as "reporter does not have create permission" or "reporter does not exist"

Have a look at <jira-home>/logs/atlassian-jira.log

Sedo IT May 18, 2016

We already tried to check the logs, but cannot find something which is suspicous.

JIRA drops incoming mails (includes internal and external mails) irregulary.

Also sometimes a mail will be converted into an issue and get an older ticket key instead of the newest.

Do you have any suggestion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 18, 2016

Ok, JIRA always logs incoming email if it can't create the issue for some reason.

As you're not getting emails randomly, that suggests two possibilities:

1.  It's very broken (which should also be throwing errors)
  2. Something else is reading the inbox and clobbering the issues before JIRA gets to them.  Do you have a test system that was created from Production?  Or anything else that might be reading the mailbox?

Also "older ticket key" - JIRA simply never does that.  There's no code for it at all in the system - the "next key" code is a bit of transitional checking to handle the case where two or more processes are creating at the same instant.  It can't "get an older key" unless you've got an add-on or code that is breaking the numbering system.  Again, if it's picking out old numbers and overwriting them, you'll have stuff in the log throwing errors.

0 votes
Don Mason December 6, 2018

What log file would contain an audit trail of someone making changes to the Incoming Mail Handlers? Trying to track down an issue we had with one of ours.

0 votes
Steven Schellhaas August 29, 2017

Did you solve the problem? I have the same Problem now and i think its caused by a plugin. Which Plugins did you use?

Regards,
Steven

Sedo IT August 29, 2017

Hi Steven,

yes, we did. Our testsystem was clobbering the mails before they were created in our livesystem, just as Nic mentioned.

We had to delete the mail handlers in our testsystem to fix it.

It's also possible to configure a new mailbox for your testsystem, so both systems get separated.

Steven Schellhaas August 29, 2017

Thank you for the fast reply! We have no own testsystem but maybe our service provider has running one because of the last migration. I will check this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 29, 2017

Ohh, there's a trick for dev/test servers - a command line switch to turn off email movements.  See https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/restoring-data-from-an-xml-backup-802592998.html#Restoringdatafromanxmlbackup-disableemail

Suggest an answer