JIRA Linux Installation Error: jre/bin/java: not found

I am trying to install JIRA and when I run the installer (./atlassian-jira-6.0.4-x32.bin) I get an error: jre/bin/java: not found. Is there some way to turn on logging when I run the installer? I can background it shortly before it dies, and manually extract java.tar.gz, but I get basically the same error from the shell when I try, e.g., bin/java -version: "bash: ./bin/java: No such file or directory" I'm running Xubuntu 12.4 and kernel 3.2. I don't have an existing JVM installed.

7 answers

1 accepted

It seems I forgot to run

apt-get install ia32-libs

Obviously the installer is giving the wrong error message when it fails. With 32-bit support fully enabled, I am able to install the 32-bit version.

Install a JDK/JRE and retry the installation

You need to install the JIRA software prerequisites. 

Run as root:

apt-get install lsb-core
apt-get install default-jdk
apt-get install default-jre

Best solution on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

on Ubuntu 14.04, I was able to get it to work by simply running:

sudo apt-get install default-jre

If you're running 64 bit Ubuntu and would like to install the 32 bit JIRA, this works:

sudo bash
dpkg --add-architecture i386
apt-get update
apt-get install default-jre:i386

worked in debian jessie, whatever the reason is, I did the installation in 32bit

The installer is bundled with a JRE, so obviously that wouldn't help. But I tried it anyway just after I posted my question and of course it didn't work. I forgot to mention that I verified the MD5 sum. Is this installer dependent upon a particular unix shell? I think I only have Bash installed right now.

~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_25"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.10) (7u25-2.3.10-1ubuntu0.12.04.2)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)
~$ ./atlassian-jira-6.0.4-x32.bin
Unpacking JRE ...
Starting Installer ...
./atlassian-jira-6.0.4-x32.bin: 466: ./atlassian-jira-6.0.4-x32.bin: /home/me/atlassian-jira-6.0.4-x32.bin.4256.dir/jre/bin/java: not found

This is driving me mad and I have had incredibly little support from Atlassian.

As Debian no longer include an Oracle version of the JDK in the repo's you have to grab a tarball from Oracle. Good luck with that, java-package and make-jpkg have not got me far in making a debian package to install with any success. I really have persevered but I expected WAY more from Atlassian to be honest.

You need to install the JIRA software prerequisites. 

Run as root:

apt-get install lsb-core
apt-get install default-jdk
apt-get install default-jre

Also make sure you have Oracle's Java Installed:

The Oracle JDK is the official JDK; however, it is no longer provided by Oracle as a default installation for Ubuntu.

You can still install it using apt-get. To install any version, first execute the following commands:

sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

If you're on Ubuntu, for example, then you need to make sure you have Oracle's Java installed with the above commands. It took me a couple hours then I figured this out. Hopefully you figure it out! 

As the answer says, the problem was a 32-bit vs 64-bit mismatch. It was not obvious that this was the case from the error message, which is why it took a little while to figure out.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,240 views 14 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot