JIRA License transfer

Robert Scott October 4, 2011

We have a version of JIRA (and several other componets) that has an expired maintenance contract. We want to move the license to a new server. Can I do this as long as I

1) keep the same version of software in the new instance (even if a clean install) and

2) only have one production server of JIRA active?

We plan to renew our software contract in the near future, but need to move the server now. Without the maintenance contract I understand I cannot upgrade the JIRA software, but am I free to move around the license I have? Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Robert Scott October 5, 2011

I got the answer from Atlassian sales. See below.

You do not need to be under active software maintenance to migrate your license to another server. You can use any version of the products compatible with your license that were released up to the point that your software maintenance expired. You can check our releases archive for our products here. Just click on each product you are interested in and select the archive.

With regards to the Server ID, the Server ID is simply associated with the license, not generated by it. Server IDs are used for our internal tracking only. You will use the same license key.

You can update the Server ID with the edit link, but it will not affect or change the license key.

As long as you do not have two production instances running on two separate servers with the same license key, then it is ok to use your license key on a new instance on a new server.

I hope this helps clarify. Please let us know if you have any other questions.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2011

Technically, you'll struggle, as server moves mean changing server-id strings and hence new license keys.

But, I would email sales@atlassian.com and talk through the plans with them, they're usually very helpful.

Suggest an answer