JIRA Java JV Memory setting.

Sakthi Balaji March 31, 2014

Hi,

In our JIRA application we have around 90,000 issues created and 303 projects we have.

Currently we have allocated total memory for JVM in JIRA is 826MB.

JIRA is not responding sometimes and the server crashes.

So we have planned to increase the JVM memory allocated in JIRA.

Can anyone suggest me how much memory we can provide for JVM in JIRA.

Thanks,

Sakthi

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

I would recomend 2 GB. But you should check LOG files for errors to understand why it crashes. Maybe memory is not the root cause.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 31, 2014

And if you have 32 bit OS, use 1800MB for JVM, it generally works better than 2GB for 32 bit.

Hi Andris,

We are using LINUX os 64 bit with 4GBRAM.

Is it possible to provide 2GB as Total Memory, if that possible can you pls tell me where i can configure it.

One more thing we dint get any errors in the LOG files while JIRA is not responding and we need to restart the service manually again.

Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 31, 2014

If you are on linux, you can open setenv.sh file and edit JVM_MAXIMUM_MEMORY="2048m"

Then restart jira.

Thanks Andris, i will change the max memory and will monitor the performance of JIRA

Suggest an answer