JIRA JQL - Epic-Story-Subtask hierarchy

daljitsb March 10, 2021

How can I get subtasks of Epic with certain status and component (without hard coding specific EPIC Keys).

I have Epic->Story->Subtask hierarchy 

I tried following functions without success

1. IssueFunction in subtasksof("...")
  2. subtasksOf("IssueFunction in IssuesInEpics("...")
  3. LinkedIssuesOf options

What tool, plugin do I need?

3 answers

1 vote
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 11, 2021

Hi @daljitsb -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

If you search the marketplace for JQL add-ons, you will find tools that could help with your request:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/search?hosting=cloud&query=JQL

Depending upon the number of issues you expect back (and the number of epics), you could also use an automation rule to dynamically build the query, eliminating the need to hard-code the epic names.  Please look here for information about automation rules:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Automation-articles/Jira-Automation-all-the-resources-you-need-in-one-page/ba-p/1388465

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Rhys Diab _Agile Docs_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 1, 2021

Hi @daljitsb 

My understanding is you're looking to:

1) Select a JQL filter for Epics with a certain status or component.

2) See all Stories and Sub-tasks in the hierarchy underneath those Epics.

I created a plugin called Agile Docs which can do this.

Select your filter for Epics which matches your component or status criteria and Agile Docs will display all the issues underneath those Epics down to the sub-task level.

agile-docs-v2.png

Hope that helps!

Best Regards,

Rhys

0 votes
Rahul_RVS_Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 12, 2021

Hi @daljitsb 

If you would be interested in a ready made solution, you may want to try out our add-on to manage multiple Epics and their hierarchy on a single page, with excel like editing of important fields.

Agile Tools - Epic Tree and Time in Status 

Manage and visualize your Epics with rolled up estimate progress reports.

Key features:

• Epic Sum
  • Configure progress % calculation on either "remaining estimate" or "original estimates"
  • Epic Tree directly on Issue Screen
  • Display and manage Epics/Issues of your project
  • Real time edit option for Issue summary, status, time estimates, story points and assignee on the tree on the Epic Hierarchy
  • Rolled up percentage completion and at issue level as well
  • JQL support for Epic Hierarchy screen
  • Time in Status report using JQL
  • Issue Tracker to view complete transitions on your issue screen
    • Status Transition : View all the status changes in a single tab along with average time and count in each status. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.
    • Assignee Transition : View all the assignees for the issue along with the time for which the issue was with each assignee. Switch between graphical and tabular view to make more out of the data.

Epic Hierarchy Screen_Cloud_Edit.png

Suggest an answer