JIRA Issue Transition view

Laas Toom March 7, 2019

Hi all!

We are using JIRA Cloud and mostly in the New View, but occasionally I need to see the transition history for an issue and then I switch to Old View to Transitions tab as that displays clear overview of how the task has transitioned through the workflow and how many times it has been ping-ponged between statuses.

Today I discovered that the Transitions view seems to indicate dates in a confusing manner.

Here is the History tab for a task – note that I "unassigned" it from myself Jan 17th, 4:20 PM but did not change the Status (it was already in Open state). Then next day a teammate took the task for himself and moved it to In Progress – note the time Jan 18, 8:57 AM.

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 10.03.51.png

But confusingly, the Transitions tab indicates that transition Open -> In Progress took place Jan 17th, 4:20 PM.

Similarly incorrect time is displayed for other transitions too.

Screenshot 2019-03-07 at 10.41.05.png

It seems to me that the timestamp in the Transitions view seems to be actually the time of the last change before current transition. Confusingly this is not even the start-time for the source-state, as the second transition in the screenshot – "Review -> In Progress" is timestamped Feb 21, 8:41, which, according to History tab, is actually timestamp that the task was transitioned "In Progress -> Review" for the first time.

Naturally I would understand "X executed transition - <timestamp>" to mean that transition occurred at that timestamp?

Could someone please explain me the usage of this Transitions tab with such confusing timestamp?

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 7, 2019

Hello Laas,

Thank you for sharing the behavior you are facing.

After digging a little bit further on this, I think you are being impacted by the following bug:

Suite Utilities for JIRA - Time spent in source status in transition tab behaves erratically at times

Feel free to watch the bug to receive notifications about any updates.

That been said, we recommend you to use the History tab and filter for the Status change until we get a solid and correct time view on the transition tabs.

Let us know if there is anything else we can help with. :)

0 votes
Laas Toom May 6, 2019

Thank's for the replies. I will check out the add-on as well, but the History tab will serve for now, I think.

Inna Gordin October 1, 2019

Hi Laas,

Just in case you subscribe to the Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) app as well, you would now have the issue transitions history tab in the new view. We've released it not too long ago, but it does work slightly differently - it shows all transitions in chronological order. Here is some quick info. And here is the difference between the two. You can also disable either JMWE's one, or the legacy one, so that users don't see both at the same time. 

Thanks

Inna 

p.s. I work for Innovalog/JMWE

0 votes
Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 3, 2019

Hi @Laas Toom 

Now is available add-on which automatically saves all history of issues changes, ordered by the date. It's Issue History for Jira Cloud.

2019-03-26_21-39-10.png

Suggest an answer