JIRA Health check shows DataBase errors but they are not actually errors.

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Hi Team,

I am trying to upgrade our JIRA form 8.20.1 to JIRA8.2012 version in order to remediate some vulnerabilities. As a pre-check on JIRA, heal check show 2 data base erros. 

DXC JIRA Health check Errors-2022-November.PNG

But, when I checked these in our MS-SQL, they are fine as they expected already. As a pre-upgradation check, this is not allowed for upgradation right( as per the upgration notes. )

DXC JIRA DataBAse Collation Error- Read-committed-snapshot-OFF.PNGDXC JIRA DataBAse Collation Error.PNG

As per the "Run health check" , it is mentioned that...

Jira has several health checks that let you verify whether your Jira instance is ready for an upgrade.

Now my doubt is , can I proceed with my JIRA upgradation by ignoring these erros, or else le tme know the alternative way to proceed this process.

Thanks, 

Dev G.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 25, 2022

>can I proceed with my JIRA upgradation by ignoring these erros

NO.

With older versions of Jira you could get away with it, but from the mid-7's onwards, it became less tolerant because dealing with mis-configuration just became a massive coding time-waster.

You need to set up the target database in a supportable configuration.  If you do not, your upgraded Jira will, at best, not be able to do reporting or searches properly and possibly fall over without warning, and at worst, you'll just have a completely corrupted database that's so bad Jira won't even start.

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2022

Thank you @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-  for the quick reply . As I have mentioned in above already, when I have checked in y Databased everything is set up as required as mentioned in the "Healthe check". There is nothing to fix it,  It menas that, though everything is set up finely, health check gives errors, so could you let me know how to proceed and get rid off this Health check errros. 

Please see below screen shots of my actaul DATA BASE using for our JIRA.

DXC JIRA DataBAse Collation Error- Read-committed-snapshot-OFF.PNGDXC JIRA DataBAse Collation Error.PNG

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Now I have fixed isolation level error, but still the collation for JIRA shows error where it is actaully set  the supported from the beginning as  'SQL_Latin1_General_CP437_CI_AI". Unfortunaltey, JIRA health check still shows, Database error on this collation aspect. 

One more point is, in 2 places JIRA check shows "Database' inforamtion. 

One place at "Problems detected" shows error and other place at "Passed check" case shows "Database' as passed check. 

Could you please confirm me how to proceed in this scenario? replying early would be very helpful us. 

DXC JIRA DataBase check.PNGDXC JIRA Collation.PNG

Thank you in advance,

Dev  G

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 25, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , could you please reply me asap. Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 26, 2022

The answer has not changed - you need to set up your database correctly.  Fix the collation settings, and you'll be fine.

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2022

Sure @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , I will fix it and proceed. Thank you.

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 26, 2022

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

I have rechecked again , JIRA Database is set up already correct collation, please check below. Please provide me the guidelines, how to fix this. 

JIRA Collation DataBase.PNG

Thank you,

Dev G

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2022

You need to look again at your database config.  The collation is still wrong (but that will only break some searches, it is not a huge whoopsie for Jira now

Devendar Gangapuram
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 27, 2022

Thank you so much @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

Suggest an answer