JIRA Filter for issues that haven't been updated in a while

Jeff A September 14, 2022

My team is using the Card Colours function to add highlights to cards which have not had any updates in a number of days/weeks. We had hoped to make a JQL that would add a  yellow highlight to a card that hasn't been updated in 10 days and a red highlight to any issues that haven't been updated in more than 15 days. My JQL queries were as follows, however I am not getting the desired results. Can someone correct my syntax?

YELLOW: project = "project_name" AND updated >= 10d AND Status != Complete 

RED: project = "project_name" AND updated >= 15d AND Status != Complete  

Is there a limitation of using the "updated" attribute, like will it consider an issue updated if it has a comment added in those timeframes?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

Hi @Jeff A 

What is the issue ? You do not have any color or all cards are yellow ?

With this feature, order is important. It will use the first color that match the JQL so if you have Yellow first all card will be yellow because an issue that have not been updated for 15d have not been updated for 10.

Any field update, comment, link and attachment will change the update date.

Regards

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2022

@Jeff A 

You should use updated <= -10d instead updated >= 10d

Jeff A September 14, 2022

Thanks for the follow-up. I did figure out that it should be <= -10d instead of what I had originally not long after I made my post. 

What I am seeing now is the problem you mentioned about the order. If I have Yellow first, I only see Yellow highlights. But if I put Red first, then I see Red. 

Is there a way for both of these rules to exist? Or is there a JQL to cover Issues which have not been updated for 10-14 days and a separate JQL for Issues that haven't been updated in 15 or more?

Florian Bonniec
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

I'm suprised that setting RED first set every card to red because an issue that has not been updated for 13 days should match only your first query (yellow)

You can play around with 

updated >= -15d and updated < -10d
Like Trudy Claspill likes this
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 14, 2022

Use the RED filter the way you have it and place it first.

For the YELLOW filter use this

project = "project_name" AND updated <= -10d and updated > -15d AND Status != Complete

This part says the issue has to have been updated more recently than 15 days ago.

updated > -15d

And this part says says it has not been updated in the past 10 days

updated <= -10d

That combination will catch the things that haven't been updated for 10-15 days.

Like Jeff A likes this
Jeff A September 15, 2022

Oh duh! I don't know why I didn't think to use a conditional AND to complete the range of 10-15... So obvious. 

Thanks everyone!  I don't have any Issues on our Board which fit into that 10-15 day window right now, but if I don't see any Yellow showing up down the road, I'll check back in.

Suggest an answer