JIRA Domain Service Account

Charlie February 13, 2018

Hi,

During installation of JIRA we used a domain service account with a password, this was used to configure Crowd, and everything is working fine. However, I don't seem to recall where that Service Account is configured, the password expires in 10 days, I would like to reset it and enter the new password in the JIRA server, but I can't find the area where this is entered.

Some help on this would be great.

Thank you.

3 answers

0 votes
henrik_gerdtsson March 14, 2023

I am in the process of updating configurations for external LDAP user directories.

To update the configuration you firstly need to log in to Jira with a jira-systems-administrator account that is not authenticated by the LDAP user directory that you want to update.

Once that is done locate the list of user directories: Jira Administration -> User management -> User directories. Now click on Edit for the User Directory you want to update. 

image.png

Under Server Settings update the password and hit Save and Test.

0 votes
Shankar Asam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2018

I don't think you need to enter the password elsewhere as the passwords are not stored in the JIRA database. 

Bharath KT April 9, 2019

hello Shankar,

where I can see the domain (LDAP) service account in JIRA please guide this

thanks in advance.

Ron Becker April 22, 2020

I'm having the same question. Did you find out what needs to be done on the Jira site when a domain password of the Jira Service account is changed? 

0 votes
Shankar Asam {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2018

I understand that you have used a domain service account in windows server to install and setup JIRA and Crowd. That service account is due to expiration in 10 days and you want to change the password right?

Let me understand the service account is different from the JIRA user accounts. The JIRA user accounts are stored inside JIRA and it's database. If you're using LDAP / AD with JIRA, then passwords won't be stored in JIRA's database(only user account can see). When you login to JIRA with your AD user and password, the JIRA would contact the AD / LDAP for password checking and authentication. You can reset the passwords in AD  domain so that JIRA will authenticate with new password automatically. Hope this answers your question.

Charlie February 14, 2018

Hello Shankar,

Thanks for your reply. You're correct that is my situation. And I do understand that this service account is not in the JIRA user database. I can reset the password for this account anytime for sure. JIRA and hosted on a Linux server (RHEL 7.4), and I guess my question was once I reset the password, I thought I would have to stop JIRA services and find a configu file somewhere in the JIRA install directory or home directory and enter the new service account password. Is that no the case?

Thank you.

Danny Lu March 3, 2023

Hello.  We recently changed our service account password and we too cannot figure out where to update the new password.  Any suggestions?

Suggest an answer