JIRA Database Refresh Options

Keith Connolly June 26, 2014

Hello all,

I'm a relative new comer to working with Atlassian Tools having come from an Infrastructure background.

At present the organsition I work within have what I feel is a "clunky" method for refreshing databases

from Production down through Stage, Development and Test environments.

The process is to bring down the production database ( causing customer downtime )

Next the DBA takes an Oracle export

Following this an rsync is done from the source system to copy the JIRA home folder to the destination in order to keep the indexes consistent

The database is then imported on the receiving system and some minor configuration is completed

The database is then brought online and service resumes.

My question to the community is what options do other people use to take imports/exports of their respective environments. I'm looking at putting the database into "HOT" backup mode and merely taking a snapshot of the filesystem required and copying it over to the other system, hopefully negating ay downtime ...???

Any thoughts or opinions greatly appreciated

KFC

1 answer

0 votes
Benito Picarelli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 29, 2014

Hi Keith,

I found this page: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e25555/tdpdw_bandr.htm#TDPDW01126

It mentions the use of ARCHIEVELOG mode to implement an online backup strategy (which does not offers any downtime).

Hope that's a valid idea for you.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer