JIRA DB - How can I externally connect to JIRA DB?

Hi - I am relatively new to JIRA. In the past I have used HP QC.

Can someone please help me with the following questions on JIRA DB:

- What type of DB does JIRA use?

- Is it possible to connect to this DB via an external tool - such as Sqlserver or even MS Excel (via a database connection)?

My aim to establish a read-only connection to JIRA DB to draw some analytics.

Thanks,

JT

2 answers

0 votes

The database behind it could be anything - it will run on any database that supports a jdbc connection, but you will find almost all installations will be on PostGres, MySQL/Maria, Oracle or MS SQL Server, as those are the only supported databases.

You can connect to it like any other database, but, don't.

That is a fantastically bad idea - database access to JIRA is the single worst approach to reporting from it.

The database is not designed for reporting at all.  To take a simple example, "read all the data from an issue" could require joins with 40 different tables, many of them 2-3 layers deep and many of them done multiple times.

You run the risk of running queries which will put such a drag on the server, it affects performance.

Please, use the REST API to get data, or get one of the proper reporting add-ons, the ones that intrinsically understand the JIRA database and have a proper data model for it.

0 votes
Thomas Schlegel Community Champion Aug 02, 2017

Hi JT,

you can find the supported databases here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/supported-platforms-802592168.html

Of course, you can read data out of the Jira-database from other clients too, but in general, it is not easy to create reasonable reports from the plain jira database. You need a deep understanding of the relations in the Jira database. I would also advice to create reports on a copy of your database, so you don't edit or delete some data accidentally... 

There are several reporting plugins for Jira that can help you. Search for "reporting" on the Atlassian marketplace.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,802 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot