JIRA / Confluence installation on Windows creates incorrect firewall rule

Ed Sachs September 5, 2017

Installing JIRA (v7.3.7) and Confluence (v6.2.1) on Windows 2012R2 servers and noted that the installation process created incorrect firewall rules. In order to access the installations from another server we needed to change them.

The firewall crated was for the installation package (allow traffic from atlassian-jira-software-7.3.7-x64.exe for JIRA, atlassian-confluence-6.2.1-x64.exe for Confluence) rather than from the web server (tomcat8.exe.x64). We had to manually fix the firewall rules.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 5, 2017

Hi Ed,

I have not seen JIRA create Firewall rules on it's own in that manner before from my experiences.

A note about firewalls: When you choose a port number for JIRA, bear in mind that your firewall may prevent people from connecting to JIRA based on the port number. Organisations with a local network protected by a firewall typically need to consider modifying their firewall configuration whenever they install a web-based application (such as JIRA) that is running on a new port or host. Even personal laptop and desktop machines often come with firewall software installed that necessitates the same sort of change as described above. If JIRA does not need to be accessed from outside the firewall, then no firewall configuration changes will be necessary.

I would check with the network admin to verify whether or not that change was made on that end or review the firewall logs to see how that change was made.  If not, do you get the same behavior if you install on another Windows server/VM?

Cheers,

Branden

Suggest an answer