JIRA Cloud - Users are able to add watchers but then they are removed

Nikora Terrill February 9, 2021

HI All,

Not sure whats happening here.

I have a project which is setup to allow people to be able to use the Case Watcher field but it is not working as intended. I can use it as the Admin but no one else can properly.

When someone else uses it, they can find the users to add, click on them and they briefly appear in the EYE icon but then within a second are removed without any further interaction.

I have given the ability to Manage CWs and Voters etc to anyone logged in. I have updated the global permissions to browse users etc to this specific group, yet this still happens.

EDIT:: Ok, so it appears this is only happening when they try using the +Add Watchers option under the EYE icon. When you use the field in the Issue, it adds them there but NOT in the EYE icon list. 
When you try adding them in the EYE icon it gets an error saying to check your connection and try again. This is definitely NOT a connection issue.

2 answers

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Hi

the users you want to setup as watcher need permissions for the issues to see them - for example you need to grant them permission by putting a group they are in or a role they are in to "Browse Permission" of the project.

So, is it possible somebody is being tried to setup in watcher who will not be able to browse per permission scheme?

Or do you mean by your edit that you Watchers and your custom field, which I believe it is, are not in sync? This is probably true because you would need to sync them using the workaround per post-function you mentioned.

Regards,
Daniel

Nikora Terrill February 10, 2021

Hi Daniel,

There are a couple of things. I suppose the main one at the moment is that the Watchers field (EYE icon) not the custom one I had to create, is not allowing people to be added manually regardless of them being selectable / have access within the permissions scheme and the global access. It always throws the error I mentioned.

The other is as you confirmed the custom field not syncing, so the work around will address it and the above. But it is a little annoying that the actual built in watcher field is not working properly.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 10, 2021

Just a few questions with the hope to get to the bottom of that case:

- has your user itself the "Manage Watchers" permission? (please check from permission scheme of the project containing the issue you want to adjust the watcher list)

- could you please check the user which should be set to watchers has "Browse Permission" on the project (= for the issue you want to set them as watcher)

- is this also happening in a different browser / in incognito mode?
- can a different user add a watcher in your project?
- has this worked before or is it failing since the beginning you started using Jira?

- please also make sure you have those permissions set for yourself:
To view other users watching or voting for an issue, you need the View Voters and Watchers and Manage Watcher List project permissions.
(as per documentation)

If all fails - could you please double check with Admin Helper (Permission Helper):
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/use-the-jira-admin-helper/

For the issuing user (that would be yourself trying to setup a watcher) for:
- Manage Watchers permission

For the user intended to be set as watcher:
- Browse Project permission

Nikora Terrill February 11, 2021

I have already done all of the previous stuff but will give the permissions helper a go if i get a chance today, thanks Daniel

0 votes
Nikora Terrill February 9, 2021

ok, so I found a work around.
The Add Watcher function does not seem to work properly under the EYE icon, BUT, I setup post functions in the workflow to copy the values in the Case Watchers field I created to the Watchers field during transition from one status to another and that populates the watcher field.

If there is a proper way to do it however so you just use that EYE icon to add people please let me know.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events