JIRA Cloud - Logging work and Reporting

Luke Hepburn February 5, 2019

Hi all We have enabled Jira service desk in addition to having a JIRA next gen project. We have started tracking time against resolving open issues. This is showing and working fine. The request I have been asked to follow up on now is across JIRA Or at least within service desk and our project in that we would like to see the time spent on issues/items by user. Many users may contribute to one issue. Second, to this I have been asked to provide time tracking for our sprint items getting worked on. I have checked everything and the first point is I can see the team allocating time, but for some reason, I can't seem to see anything or have the ability to log time also, not sure why if others can, I ran the permission checker and it says I can do work. Saying that I have been asked to have it as per above, like to see the time spent on issues/items by user. Many users may contribute to one issue. So the request is for our sprint/kanban items also. This is to assist with billing + R&D reporting and to report back on what the team have been working on.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 7, 2019

Hello Luke,

Welcome to Atlassian Community.

I understand that, for some reason, you are not being able to log time in your issues despite other users can do it.

Also, you would like to have some kind of report that would provide you with the time spent breaking down by users since multiple users can log time on the same issue. Can you confirm if I have understood it properly?

If that's the case, which is the project that you are not being able to log work? Is the JIRA Service desk or in the Next-gen Project? As you may know, Next-gen projects do not have time tracking yet.

If it is not a Next-gen project, I would check the following:

- double check the worklog permissions for your user

- Confirm if the Log work field is properly added to your project screens

- Confirm if the time tracking feature is turned-on

About the report you are asking for, you can try the plugin Time Reports for JIRA Cloud. This add-on has a flexible time tracking and reporting of time spent on Projects, Epics or Initiatives broken down by Days, Users or Issue Statuses.

Let me know if this information helps.

Suggest an answer