JIRA Cloud - Issues still not shown in backlog after being mapped to a column

Boon Hwee Yeo April 10, 2017

Hi all,

Been scanning the forums and tried all of the fixes but still cannot see issues in our backlog. I've double checked against another project we have going and can't see any difference in the set up. This is for JIRA Cloud.

Glad to be wrong here but I think my set up is correct. Screenshot is of my column assignment:

jira columns.pngMy filter query is: project = PMO ORDER BY Rank ASC

As you can see by the screenshot, there should be 54 incomplete tasks (TODO + InProgress), I have confirmed this doing a general search for issues. When I check the Scrum board, the active sprint + backlog only yields 29 issues. 

I have tried re-indexing and it doesn't seem to fix the problem.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 11, 2017

Ok, that's great, and partly answers the question.

When you are defining columns, JIRA gets numbers without looking at the sprint.  So it's taking your 132 and splitting it up across the board as though all of them were in the current sprint.

The totals are correct there, as are the number in the done column (and I'd guess the other three status are right as well), which means, as you already suspected, your configuration is fine, and strongly suggests that the index is good too.

So now we have the underlying numbers, the next things to look at are the details on the boards

When you look at the working board, I expect you will see only 8 issues, scattered across the To-do and In-progress columns.  Is that true?

The backlog is a little bit different and more complex, as it only shows issues that are useful in planning.  It hides sub-task issues that are just noise in a planning session, so they don't clutter up the backlog.

If you could run "project = PMO and issuetypes in standardIssueTypes() and Status != Complete", I think you might get "29" from it.

Boon Hwee Yeo April 19, 2017

Hi Nic,

Sorry for the late reply.

That makes sense and I have been able to verify that is the number. Thank you very much for the explaination as that make sense, I was looking at it the incorrect way.

Thanks mate!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 10, 2017

The columns only apply to the current active sprint(s), so that might be hiding stuff.  That statement is an initial instinct though - there may be other problems, but we need to work through what boards do and how they do it before going further.

Your column definitions look absolutely fine, and your query is exactly the sort of query we like - simple and very clear on what you are looking for.  So I have no questions on that part of it.

The next step is to look at some basic numbers.  Could you run the following searches in the issue navigator (ignore the boards for now) and tell us what numbers come out?  We really just need to see the count of issues from each result, no other details.

project = PMO
project = PMO and Status = Complete
project = PMO and issuetype in standardIssueTypes()

then, repeat those three, but add "and sprint = <whatever the current sprint is>"

Boon Hwee Yeo April 10, 2017

Hi Nic, numbers are as follows:

Total

project = PMO - 132
project = PMO and Status = Complete - 78
project = PMO and issuetype in standardIssueTypes() = 120

Current Sprint

project = PMO - 8
project = PMO and Status = Complete - 0
project = PMO and issuetype in standardIssueTypes() - 8

Suggest an answer