JIRA Cloud: How to export or backup a single project

Sebastien Beaudoin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 5, 2018

Hi,

A few weeks ago, our company sold a portion of our services.

As part of the pass over, JIRA data has to be transferred to their instance.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Additional info:

Our JIRA instance contains 3 other projects that can't be shared with them.

I've read that you can only export the full instance.

Is it possible to sanitize the exported data before sending it over?

1 answer

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2018

No, the backup is an export of everything. 

You will need to import it into a temporary development Jira, delete the projects you don't want to transfer, then export from there and give them that export.

Sebastien Beaudoin
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 6, 2018

I feared as much.

Thanks for the added details.

ArminLange April 16, 2019

Is this solution still the only way to import one project of a larger backup into another instance?

~1 year later

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2019

Yes, it has not changed.

Michael Arias May 7, 2019

Yes, and export issues is not enough.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 17, 2019

Yep, agreed, no question.  Still not changed, Atlassian don't support this sort of move in any useful way.

Sandra Axelsdottir September 22, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- is this still the case? Needing the temp instance to delete all projects you don't want in your new instance?

I'm wondering what the best way is, if you only one to migrate 1 of 500 projects to a new instance.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 22, 2022

It is still the case, there's not a lot built into Jira to help you with it.

However, there are now a lot more apps that can help you move projects between systems.  There's a been a handful (Project configurator, Configuration Manager, etc) for years, but over the last couple of years more have become available, including Atlassian's own JCMA - that was built for people to do Server to Cloud migrations, but can be used to move projects Cloud to Cloud as well now.  There's a Cloud backup system by Revya that I've not yet tried out, but sounds like it can do single project stuff too.

The "clone then delete what you don't need" method is still the most simple conceptually, but it's well worth a look at all the apps that can help.

Like Sandra Axelsdottir likes this
Tom Braat October 21, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I have a similar case. I like to export one project from a Jira Cloud to a new Jira Cloud. This new cloud site will only have 5 users, so was thinking of using a Free plan. 

I'm planning to use JCMA, but will everything work migrating from a Jira Standard to a Jira Free instance? Or should my destination cloud at least by a Jira Standard?

Thanks a lot for the advice. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 21, 2022

@Tom Braat - you're good to go - none of the tools, including JCMA, care about the number of users you have in the source system, or are going to have in the target!  

Just be aware that they will try to replicate all the users you have in the source system, as closely as possible.

Like Tom Braat likes this
Tom Braat October 21, 2022

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- I know in the JCMA I have the option to only migrate the users from the selected project, so I think that will do the trick for me.

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this

Suggest an answer