Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

JIRA Cloud: How to export or backup a single project

Edited

Hi,

A few weeks ago, our company sold a portion of our services.

As part of the pass over, JIRA data has to be transferred to their instance.

What would be the best way to go about it?

Additional info:

Our JIRA instance contains 3 other projects that can't be shared with them.

I've read that you can only export the full instance.

Is it possible to sanitize the exported data before sending it over?

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted

No, the backup is an export of everything. 

You will need to import it into a temporary development Jira, delete the projects you don't want to transfer, then export from there and give them that export.

I feared as much.

Thanks for the added details.

Is this solution still the only way to import one project of a larger backup into another instance?

~1 year later

Yes, it has not changed.

Yes, and export issues is not enough.

This solution is really circuitous.

Yep, agreed, no question.  Still not changed, Atlassian don't support this sort of move in any useful way.

@Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ is this still the case? Needing the temp instance to delete all projects you don't want in your new instance?

I'm wondering what the best way is, if you only one to migrate 1 of 500 projects to a new instance.

Like Nic Brough _Adaptavist_ likes this

It is still the case, there's not a lot built into Jira to help you with it.

However, there are now a lot more apps that can help you move projects between systems.  There's a been a handful (Project configurator, Configuration Manager, etc) for years, but over the last couple of years more have become available, including Atlassian's own JCMA - that was built for people to do Server to Cloud migrations, but can be used to move projects Cloud to Cloud as well now.  There's a Cloud backup system by Revya that I've not yet tried out, but sounds like it can do single project stuff too.

The "clone then delete what you don't need" method is still the most simple conceptually, but it's well worth a look at all the apps that can help.

Like Sandra Axelsdottir likes this

Suggest an answer