JIRA Character Limits on Comments and Description 32,767?

Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2015

This seems to be new in 7.x series, a character limit in Description and Comment fields?  As developers we paste in application output which can be lengthy but I'm also not sure the character counter is correct.  We also use JEditor in our instance if that's related?

The entered text is too long. It exceeds the allowed limit of 32,767 characters

7 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Neal Culiner
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2015

I googled jira.text.field.character.limit after reviewing the case above, the answer is go to Administration > General Settings and click Advanced, find the property, click the value on the right to change it, 0 is unlimited.

Ambereen Hameed January 24, 2019

Hello, this option is not viable in the cloud instance it seems. 

Like # people like this

But for server. Anyways, it seems like it does not affect max character limit of predefined fields such as checkbox 

6 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 4, 2015

This was changed in: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-28519 Take a look there to see how you can increase this value.

2 votes
Charlie Monroe August 17, 2016

Hi,

I can't find this setting in Administration > General Settings > Advanced - it no longer seems to be there. I kind of need to up this a bit since I get longer messages via email from time to time...

If there any way to get this changed?

Thanks!

Daniel Micallef October 28, 2016

Adminitration>System>Advanced Settings > 'jira.text.field.character.limit' in JIRA 7.1.9 

Like Keith Shaw likes this
Neil Root April 30, 2019

Advanced Settings.png

Neil Root April 30, 2019

That screenshot is from Jira v7.10.2 (server)

0 votes
Oleksii Zatulskyi March 7, 2019

I've found the reason. In my case, I've tried to insert more than 255 length string to Custom Field with type Single Line string.

I've changed it to Multiline string and now my import is working as expected :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2017

It is, the core of JIRA just looks at the total count.  JEditor's injection increases the count.

0 votes
Michael Rose January 20, 2017

The HTML that JEditor embeds in it fields must be getting included in the character count. I was seeing this same message and when I check the character count in word, it was only about 8k characters. I was able to workaround the problem by highlighting all of the text and clicking the broom icon to clear all of the formatting.

0 votes
Etienne Scraire August 17, 2016

I had the same problem. I really could not find it in the UI.

Go on your JIRA server, find jpm.xml

(default: /opt/atlassian/jira/atlassian-jira/WEB-INF/classes/jpm.xml)

Search for jira.field.length in the file

(/jira.field.length in vim)

Change the value in there to whatever you'd prefer.

So there is no way to change this on the cloud instance?

Etienne Scraire August 17, 2016

I had the same problem today and we couldn't find it in the UI.

My suggestion would be to contact support and explain the situation, they can either point you to the option in the UI (if all of us somehow missed it) or at least perform the steps I described on the server.

My guess is that error message wasn't updated when that setting moved in the UI.

Thanks! I'll contact the support.

Krishna Deepak March 20, 2017

Any help from the support?

Suggest an answer