JIRA Board ORDER BY Custom Field not working

Randy_Elias May 9, 2017

Hi All,

I have the following simple JQL Quick Filter set up on a board:

project = "CENGN Recruiting" AND issuetype = "Permanent Candidate" ORDER BY "Permanent Position" ASC 

However, when I go to the board, the issues are not sorted by the "Permanent Position" custom field. They are not sorted at all. 

If I perform the same JQL query in the Issues Search window, I do get the issues sorted correctly.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Randy

2 answers

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2017

The error here is thinking the "order by" clause has an effect in a quick filter. 

It can't override your board sort clause (that way lies madness, both in code and real life).  So while it looks like valid JQL, JIRA has no choice but to ignore it.

This is not at all clear in the documentation I'm afraid, and you're not the first one misled by it.

Rachel Fetrow January 28, 2019

THANK YOU!

Rachel Fetrow January 28, 2019

So where do I set this up if not in quick filters? Specifically, what permissions are needed to change this in filters? I don't see any editing rights when I go look at filters so I'm assuming I have a permissions issue for anything superior to quick filters.

Filipi Lima
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 30, 2021

Hi all,
I know the question is old but others might get there for the same reason so here are the steps to change the Board filter that governs the board:

• While on your board screen, click the Board dropdown on the top-right > Configure.
  • On the GENERAL tab, click Edit Filter Query.
  • Modify your query replacing:
    • ORDER BY Rank ASC
      with
    • ORDER BY "YourCustomField" ASC
  • Run the search once and it will allow you to save the filter.

By default, boards are ordered by the RANK, which allows you to manually move cards up and down in the same column.

Since you cannot order by both RANK and YourCustomField (you will be removing the RANK ordering to add YourCustomField), you will lose the ability to move cards within the same column but you can transition them between status as you would normally.

Cheers,
Filipi Lima

0 votes
quality-support May 9, 2017

What type of Custom Field is the "Permanent Position"?

Randy_Elias May 9, 2017

Select List (single choice)

quality-support May 9, 2017

They shuld be orderd by the the order of the options. 

If you want to order the alphabeticly you shuld first order the options. 

Randy_Elias May 9, 2017

Thanks Qualidade.

However, the "Permanent Position" custom field is ordered alphabetically. 

I did notice that in the board, the issues are sorted by Issue Key rather than the "Permanent Position" field.

Suggest an answer