JIRA Automation rules don't apply using "same type of ticket" or "same type of ticket than trigger"

Vincent Dufour April 19, 2024

Hi,
I have been using automation rules for a while and I just encountered a weird behavior of JIRA.

I have 3 types of ticket : Improvement, Bug and Evolution.
These types are shared between 2 projects : Support and Dev.

One automation rule enable the creation of a ticket in Dev with the same type when a ticket in Support is "accepted".
But in this rule I have to specify 3 branches like "if type is Bug then create ticket in Dev with type Dev", which is kind of heavy.

So I tried to replace this by "Create a ticket in Dev with the same type as the triggering ticket in Support".
But all the test fail, each and every time the audit journal indicate that the ticket doesn't respect the conditions even though it does...

I'd like to understand why it's not working properly ?
Also there are actually 2 possibles conditions : "create same type like triggering ticket" and "create type same type", I don't get the difference between those two...

Thanks !

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Hi Vincent,

Can you share your entire rule and details from the audit when it runs but doesn't work?

How can I share the rules ? There is no tool to share file...

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 19, 2024

Take a screenshot.  :-)

image.pngimage.png

The first screenshot represent rules that don't work in comparison with the 2nd one where things work.
The rule are applied on the ticket of the same project.

To be more precise, the rule must check the field "Application" and should create a ticket in either one of 2 differents projects (Lineavision+ and Lineatrack) depending on the application.

But it is exactly the same rule.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2024

Thank you. And now for the Audit Log details for when it fails? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2024

And this is a multi-project rule with both projects in the Rule Details? 

Nope, it does just apply on one project.
But this setting works perfectly when the ticket is created in Lineavision+ (Dev project).

Here are the details for the last failure

image.png

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2024

You have 3 conditions in that first rule but the audit log is only showing that it went through two conditions. 

So the Application field = Lineatrack and that passed. 

But both branches should have fired and there would be two conditions mentioned. So, what is the issue type for SUPINT-681?

I have one condition on the application field (Lineatrack or Linevision+) and then it should enter branches and check the type : bug, Improvement or Evolution.

The SUPINT-681 is of type "Bug".

I think I just understood the problem.
It's because the different IF condition in the rule are linked by "AND".

So when the first condition "if Application is Lineavision+" isn't met, it stops there instead of checking wether the following condition are met or not.

Ok it is solved by adding if-else condition on top of that.

It's working great now.

There is still the question regarding the creation of ticket using "same as triggering ticket" which still doesn't work.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 19, 2024

Yay!! Glad it is working. I am seeing other comments on other posts about that. You could open a Support ticket with Atlassian if you would like to get to the bottom of it. 

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2024

Hi @Vincent Dufour 

Adding to John's answer:

Are these team-managed, company-managed, or one of each type projects?  You may find that information at the bottom-left side of the page's expanding area.

While company-managed projects share issue types, team-managed projects each have their own configuration.  And so using the "same as triggering issue" for issue type may not work when creating an issue in a different project with an automation rule.  Instead, I believe the specific type must be selected / entered.

Kind regards,
Bill

Vincent Dufour April 22, 2024

Thanks Bill for your details :)

The projects I described are all company-managed project.

Btw do you know the difference between the 2 possibilities : "same as triggering issue" and "same as ticket" (or something like that) ?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2024

In automation rules, {{triggerIssue}} always refers to the issue(s) which triggered the rule, and {{issue}} or "current issue" can change, based on location in the rule.

For example, please note the values in this template of a rule:

• trigger: some trigger; {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same
  • condition: some condition; {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same
  • branch: some branch on issues; {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same
    • action: some action inside the branch; {{triggerIssue}} refers to the trigger issue and {{issue}} refers to the branched-to issue
  • action: some action after the branch; {{triggerIssue}} and {{issue}} are the same again

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events