JIRA - Advice request: administration, maintenance and housekeeping.

tcheeric April 9, 2018

Can someone recommend best practices, documentation, links etc. on JIRA maintenance, regular housekeeping tasks etc. that can be done proactively in order to keep JIRA up and running smoothly and with the least amount of issues?

PS: We are hosting our own JIRA installation

Thanking in anticipation,

Eric T.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2018
tcheeric April 9, 2018

Thanks @Thomas Schlegel.

The article is very promising.

I also found this book on amazon. Looks interesting.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JIRA-Strategy-Admin-Workbook-administrator/dp/1539090221/

Like Miriam Hopton likes this
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2018

This book is written by @Rachel Wright - She's also active here on the platform.

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2018

Thanks @Thomas Schlegel!

Hi @tcheeric - nice to meet you online! 

I broke my Jira proactive maintenance into tasks I performed each quarter.  I included everything from upgrades, to admin user audits (and things to keep the security and compliance teams happy), to "archiving" unused projects, running health checks, user maintenance, thinning the amount of custom fields and workflows we were using, etc. 

I used to have a regular reindex on my maintenance schedule, but found it was smarter to do those "as needed", after I performed an action that required it, rather than just running one because the schedule said it was "time to run it." 

My regular maintenance schedule and ways to clean up a messy Jira instance are all in the workbook.  Just shout if you have more maintenance questions!  The Community is always here to respond!

Like # people like this
tcheeric April 13, 2018

Thanks for the feedback @Rachel Wright

Suggest an answer