JIRA Advanced roadmaps, multiple projects, and business objectives

Mario Verhaeg December 23, 2020

We would like to move from a feature-driven way of planning to an objective way of planning. Let's say we have three products (A,B,C) that all have their own project in JIRA. As an organisation we have defined goal G: "decrease storage costs". This is a business objective for our customers. Multiple products can contribute to this business objective. I would like to define this business objective as an issue in JIRA and have epics from multiple products have that epic as a parent. This was we can see how products contribute to reaching a business objective and see dependencies between products. Ideally this all comes together in JIRA advanced roadmaps. I'm only starting to gain experience with JIRA, so I might just lack the understanding how to get this structurally set-up, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 23, 2020

Hi @Mario Verhaeg 

Yes you are right Advanced Roadmap can help you do that. Starting with the high level objective, you can create hierarchy of issue types that will contribute to achieve that objective.

There are plenty of resources online to get you started. I suggest evaluating Advanced Roadmap for couple of weeks to understand its capabilities.

I have also made series of videos on this topic. If you have 30min (may be 1 hour) and want to understand how all of it works then the first video should give you some ideas.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

Mario Verhaeg December 23, 2020

Thank you for the fast reply @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ . The good news is that my organisation already has a license for advanced roadmaps, so I was already playing around with a structure, but couldn't see this working in a set-up with multiple projects. If everything goes well I will get a second project after the Christmas break and I will also take the time to look at videos.

Mario

Like Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ likes this

Suggest an answer