JEMH is giving me zero email notifications but issues are created just fine.

Michael March January 2, 2014

I've followed the JEMH helpdesk from scatch guide and the inbound emails get processed and issues with all the proper custom field(s) for non jira users get populated. The problem I have is I never get emails for any activity on the created issues. I'm talking on creation or updates.

A few questions..

Does the required custom event have to be assoicated with a workflow?

What should I be looking for or how can I debug getting zero emails?

3 answers

1 vote
Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2014

Just pointing out the obvious, your Event Listener Project Mapping has 'filter sender' which is more verbosely 'dont send me the result of the email I just sent'. If you only have one sender in the email, and that sender is present in the custom field as an email address, this explains your situation. To cause the sender to receive updates, untick that option. If you need different/expanded behaviour, please raise an issue!

Given you are also storing Notification History, check the given issue, what does the Notification History tab show (nothing probably)?

The Notification Helper will only help trace notifications for Projects associated with a Notification Scheme.

The Custom Event referred in the guide should be selected in the Profile, its fired by JEMH after the two phase issue creation process is complete, and triggers the Event Listener.

Michael March January 3, 2014

Arg! I followed the setup guide a little too litterally.

In the "New Project Mapping" under "Event Listener" it has "[TEST]" as the project key and so, for some I read that litterally and pick our project called "TEST" as the mapped project.

All is good.

I'm sorta new to Atlassian Answers.. How do I give both you guys some 'credit' for helping me?

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 3, 2014

Glad to hear you got that sorted out, Michael!

Feel free to upvote our answers if you thought we were helpful.

Oh, and welcome to Answers :)

0 votes

If this helps, here's the result from a test case:

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Could you attach a redacted screenshot of the JIRA notifications tab in the Transports screen? I'm basically looking for the equivalent of this screenshot.

Arg.. I screwed up the order my responses... I attached screen shots on the other thread. Sorry.

0 votes
Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Sounds like JEMH is working fine if it's creating issues, processing custom fields, and handling non-JIRA-users.

You can turn on mail logging in the Logging & Profiling admin screen to get a better idea of what's going on.

Questions you might want to ask yourself when debugging:

1. Is everyone else getting notifications?
  2. Is the notification scheme set up to notify me? Check out the Notification Helper for some insight into this.
  3. Are there any other active users with the same email as me (e.g. test accounts)? If so, try disabling them
  1. Other projects (and normal Jira users in those projects) are getting emails.
  2. I turned off the notification scheme for the project using JEMH because the guide referenced above said normal Jira users would get double emails.
  3. The mail address for the non-Jira users is unique to the system.

Jira users

non-Jira users

non-Jira users

Aseem Parikh
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 2, 2014

Is your account mapped to one of the roles in the Default Notification Scheme?

Suggest an answer