It does not work when The same group name in LDAP <-> Jira user sync.

Dear Sir,

We manage user directory with LDAP synchronization. It does not work properly when the same group name exists in LDAP more than 2.

for example,
In LDAP, there is group name 'Project management'. Unfortunately, there are 2 group names which has 'Project Management' in LDAP. In this case, The user in 'Project Management' group is not synced to Jira group.

Is there any solution to solve this issue?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 3, 2019

This is a known limitation with using an LDAP directory with Jira.  There is a related KB about this in 'Unable to synchronise directory' Due to Duplicate Groups in an External Directory.

That KB also referenced a bug in https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-28484

The KB has some suggestions such as using the directory setting in Jira to apply an LDAP filter as a way to prevent Jira even trying to sync one or both groups.   However in your case, if you want to use both groups in Jira, the only work-around I can think of to achieve this would be have your LDAP admin give unique group names to these.  That way Jira would not see these as duplicate group names.   I realize that might not be an ideal solution, as such I would recommend that you vote on the bug issue.

Suggest an answer