Issues displayed in issue filter but not on board

Big Jim July 26, 2017

Hi !

This one has been driving me really crazy !

In my Jira project I have created a new issue type with a dedicated workflow. I have been testing this and it all works well.

I have created a really simple filter just selecting this single project and single issue type :

Project = SALES

Issue Type = PLUGS

The filter works fine showing all related issues. 

I have added all columns to a board and mapped them to statuses correctly but the issues do not appear on the board. However as soon as I go back and change the filter removing the filter for the single issue type the issues appear on the board. So with this filter the board works :

Project = SALES

And with this I see no issues

Project = SALES

Issue Type = PLUGS

Can anyone help ?

Thanks

8 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2017

Could you give us the plain JQL for the two queries, rather than describe them?

Also, can you tell us if you have more than one issue type called "Plugs" on your issue type list (globally, not the project)?

Big Jim July 27, 2017

Hi Nic

Thanks. Sure yes. The querey that works as a filter but not in a board is : 

project = SALES AND issuetype = PLUGS ORDER BY Rank ASC

When I change to

project = SALES ORDER BY Rank ASC

Then both the filter and the board work. So the board is ok and works when I include all issue types but not when I only include the single issue type PLUGS that I have defined.

I only have one issue type PLUGS.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2017

Ok, the only possibilities now are a massive bug no one else has reported, or your project is not using the "plugs" issue type you think it is.

To help with debugging the first one, try re-indexing the project.

Big Jim July 28, 2017

Hi Nic,

I have re-index and still have the same problem.

I have been playing around and found the following which I hope provides a further clue.

I created a new board with the default statuses To Do, In Progress, Done. When I map my workflow statuses to these columns some (not all) issues appear on the board. What would block a status from appearing ? I found the following page

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/issues-are-not-appearing-in-boards-779159013.html

But I cannot find the log and am not sure what the sprint custom field is. Anyway it appears to be locked.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 28, 2017

Ah, ok, I misunderstood something.

Your board columns determine what issues are shown on the board after the filter.  So if your board columns do not include a status, they literally are "not on the board".

So, first, make sure *all* status are mapped, and all your issues will be included on the board.

However, there's more.  A scrum board will show you two views - a backlog and the work in progress. 

The backlog will show you all issues that are not "done" (done being "any status in the far right hand column of the board").  That's because you don't care about them any more.  They're done, so you don't need them on a board.

The working board will show you done issues, but it is selecting only issues in the current sprint - i.e. the stuff you should be working on.

So, my best guess now is that many of your issues are done, or in unmapped status.

Like # people like this
Big Jim July 28, 2017

Thanks Nic,

I've solved the issue but I'm not sure how ! First I checked statuses and saw that they were linked to multiple workflows (most inactive). I cleaned up so that all statuses were only associated with one workflow.

Then in the new board I generated columns for the statuses I could see and realised the ones I could not see were in the backlog.

BUT the really strange thing is that I now have a new board that works but the old board (with the same mapping) does not show any issues.

Like Inna S likes this
Big Jim July 28, 2017

I carried on playing around and I noticed in the new board that as soon as I set swimlanes for epics the issues dissapear from the board. When I remove the epic swimlane they all re-appear.

When I go to the scrum board backlog none of my epics appear in the epic tab.

Yet the epic labels appear on the scrum board cards.

I'm lost !

Like # people like this
Big Jim July 28, 2017

Ok I must be getting better at this as I'm answering my own question here ! In the scrum board if your querey does not include the issue type EPIC you will not see any epics in the backlog tab. This is rather odd as they appear on the cards.

Nic you are a hero and I can enjoy the weekend !

Like # people like this
Jodie Guy February 4, 2020

@Big Jim I had the same problem and from your second last comment was able to work out that if the swinlanes is based on Epics it shows swimlanes for all Epics from the same project and then a catch all (not all really catch all) for cards with no Epic. It doesn't account for cards with an Epic from another project.

Hans van Nek September 1, 2020

Well, I have only one project. So he solution of Jodie does not work for me.

Matthew Kelly May 11, 2021

Ok, so @Jodie Guy 's answer helped me figure out my issue... 

In short, I had a filter that said "return all items in the project" - it returned all items in the project on the issue search screen, and showed all items on the kanban board.

But, when I tried to tweak the filter to return only items where Type = X, it returned the relevant items on the issue search screen, but displayed nothing on the kanban board when the epic swimlanes option was turned on.

Solution: tweak filter to include Type X OR type = Epic!

Thank f&&k for that! ;-)

21 votes
LCD March 11, 2020

In case it helps anyone... realising there was a sub filter on my board and removing it cleared this problem for me and showed all tickets.

(Board>Configure>General>@ bottom, "Kanban board sub-filter")

Myles May 29, 2020

THANK YOU!

Like # people like this
Terry Beavers November 19, 2020

Removing the sub-filter worked for me as well.  Thanks!

Like Melanie Leclerc likes this
Marcus Ulmefors November 20, 2020

Thank you LCD! This solved my issue as well. What a weird fix...

Deleted user January 27, 2021

same here, thanks LCD

gpattihis February 3, 2021

I wasted lots of time till I stumbled across this comment. Thank you LCD!!!

Nicolas Martin March 24, 2021

You save me.
I lost 1 hour on this.

Thanks a lot

ck August 18, 2021

This was also my problem and thank a lot!

Virginia Corvid March 8, 2022

Whoa, I would have never found this. Bizarre sub filter automatically added to the board by default when it is created. You saved me hours. Thank you!!

Cris Nelson June 10, 2022

Thank you! Fixed my issue as well. 

Helen Ioffe December 15, 2022

Thank you - this fixed my issue as well. I feel that there was a bug that added this sub-filter to begin with because my board is old and didn't have this problem in the past. 

Melanie Leclerc February 13, 2023

Thanks a lot !

2 votes
D May 20, 2020

Just in order to help someone, I had the same issue.
But for me, the answer was to map the status of issue in the jira-board.

We had a project with few status not mapped, so some jira was not available on the board but were correctly displayed with the board filter.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 20, 2020

Er, if you read the conversation, you'd have seen that.

D May 20, 2020

So, my fault in this case but I think you should change the accepted answer.

Could you give us the plain JQL for the two queries, rather than describe them?

Also, can you tell us if you have more than one issue type called "Plugs" on your issue type list (globally, not the project)?

Because, the answer accepted above, is not an answer actually.. 

Like Mark Johnson likes this
D May 20, 2020

deleted

D May 20, 2020

deleted

0 votes
Brian Sweet August 1, 2022

I have two issues with the status of "Done." One ends up in the "Done" column in a board. The other does not.

The only difference is that the one that does display has a resolution of unresolved. The "Done" ticket that doesn't display has a resolution of done...

0 votes
Naseer December 15, 2021

Hi JIRA team,

In our 2 Business type projects, we are facing the same issue. on Issues list/ advance search, we can see all task types, tasks, sub-tasks, Epics, etc. but on the default Board, all the newly created tickets are not visible. I guess it happening since the Project Key is changed a week ago. this is happening with all users who have access to this project.

I did not see any reindexing option on our cloud account. I do not see board configuration as it's a business-type project. I do not see any filters set on boards.

Can someone help us, please?

0 votes
Zaira Alexandra Lopez Paz October 12, 2020

Hi All, 

Had this issue tonight and didn't see the resolution in discussion above. I had created subtasks and a scrum board to view these subtasks. The board filter and the statuses were all accurate and mapped, but the subtasks did not display on the board. I fixed it by adding the Sprint to the parent issue, which then populated the Sprint for the subtasks, and then they displayed on the board. 

Hope this helps!

Hans van Nek March 24, 2021

We have in our company a lot of very experienced Jira experts.  I am not, I am just the CEO.  
But the conclusion reached by them is very simple: do not use the board at all.

Well, fine by me.  

0 votes
Tereza Červinková May 29, 2020

Okay, I will add my resolution if someone is searching and didn't find solution yet - in our case it was the subfilter of the board, which was created automatically.On the first sight only filtered newest versions, but some of the issues didn't use versions at all - deleting the subfilter showed them!

Hans van Nek September 1, 2020

Also not the solution to my problem, I do not have any filters

0 votes
Tarun July 11, 2019

I am using Cloud, facing issue with my Board.

- I have a custom board configured for 5 of my projects. Recently noticed that:

1. Board is not showing few PBI's from one my project

2. One of my Project PBI's are not appearing in board

But when i run the Filter query, i can see the missing PBI in Filter result-set.

Any help will be appreacited.

Sai Praveen Aminigadda February 20, 2020

@Tarun  did you resolve it?

Jodie Guy February 25, 2020

@Sai Praveen Aminigadda and @Tarun 

I had the same problem and worked out that if the swinlanes on a board is based on Epics it shows swimlanes for all Epics from the same project and then a catch all (not all really catch all) for cards with no Epic. It doesn't account for cards with an Epic from another project.

If this is the same for you, the only way around it, is to assign cards to an Epic from the same project or to manually create your swimlanes based on a query per Epic.

Suggest an answer