Issues - Resolution: Unsolved - displays task status 'done'

neosmart January 15, 2014

Hey, I am new to JIRA and try to understand the difference between: 'solved' and 'done'

I can display all unresolved issues of a project. But all my done issues are displayed. I can't set status 'resolved' to my issues. What am I doing wrong?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2014

That's actually quite difficult to explain, because "solved" and "done" are definitions that are up to the end user, not the software.

Generally, "done" really does mean "no one needs to do any more work on this". I don't know what you mean by "solved" (and it's not something that appears in Jira off-the-shelf), so you might want to explain your meaning, or what you want from it.

Anyway, on your second question, a brief explanation of what's happening:

Jira has a resolution field. Jira uses this to say "issue is unresolved/resolved" or, "not done/done" if you like. If the resolution is empty in the database, Jira displays "unresolved". If the resolution is filled in with any word(s) at all, Jira displays the issue with that data, and strikes out the issue key display and considers it resolved (or done).

My best guess is that you've changed your workflow in some way that stops Jira asking the users to fill in a resolution when your issue moves into your "done" status.

The best explanation is actually to work from examples - have a look at the default workflow that ships with Jira (you can't change it, so I know I can point at bits of it). Look specifically at the transitions that go into and out of the status Resolved and Closed. You'll find transitions into those status use a "screen" called "resolution screen", which includes the resolution field. Transitions out of the status to open status types all include a "post-function" that says "clear the resolution"

You need to do two things here:

1) Account for resolution in your workflow

2) Edit all your old data to "fix" it (this can be quite hard, get your workflow fixed first, we can come back to this bit)

Thanks for this explanation. I use a standard scheme: Software Development Workflow Scheme

Is it really necessary to modify this standard scheme to set a resolution? I am in Issue Detail view and can't see any option to set the resolution ...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2014

Yes, it needs to set a resolution when you resolve/close an issue. You need it to go through that screen, or set it by post-function (and clear it on re-open)

However, this is a workflow thing, not directly related to the issue detail view. That is controlled by the "issue type screen schemes" and actually, you do NOT want to put resolution on the create or edit screens - if you do, it will get set, and you'll have exactly the opposite problem from what you have now, because all your issues will look resolved all the time!

Thanks for your help. I will modify the workflow!

0 votes

Thanks!

Suggest an answer