Issuer REST Jira API Auth with JWT

PaoloDiBello July 24, 2019

I am testing the REST JIRA API and I wonder where I could get the iss to use it in my claims as it seems as the only thing that puts a barrier to login a user. 

https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/jira/platform/understanding-jwt/

It mentions a clientKey

I'll be using this package:
 https://bitbucket.org/atlassian/atlassian-jwt-js/src/master/

I have looked up clientKey and it talks about the OAuth, is this the case? 

1 answer

0 votes
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 24, 2019

Hi @PaoloDiBello,

are you developing a connect app for Jira? The article you linked is talking about that.

If you're simply developing a script, you can also authenticate via Basic Auth with an API token - checkout this article about it.

Otherwise, here's the general guide about authenticating to the Jira REST API.

Cheers,
Matthias.

PS: There's also a developer community which is better in answering technical questions.

PaoloDiBello July 24, 2019

No, I need to send requests with the REST API 

Sahil Kumar
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 15, 2022

Hey @PaoloDiBello 

Did you find a way? I am trying the same thing to POST info via rest API. But running into the same issue as you.

PaoloDiBello October 15, 2022

@Sahil Kumar

In the end I didn't use the atlassian-jwt-package and wasn't able to find a solution for my login issue, I just used a token, I ended up quitting my previous job before finding a solution.

Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 17, 2022

@Sahil Kumar - as I've linked above already, I'd recommend to use Basic Auth if it's for some simple scripting. See more details in these docs.

Suggest an answer