Issue with sharing sprint between boards

Artem Falilieiev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 22, 2018

We have an issue with shared sprint:

In our project (about 15 teams) we took a decision to use one shared sprint across the boards. And it works fine up to one issue  - closing sprint and moving unresolved tasks. When I close a sprint I get an option to move tasks to next sprint, but it does not work properly. Only tasks within current board (where i was closing sprint) got moved to next sprint other tasks for all other teams got moved to backlog... Any suggestion how we can resolve it, it's leaving a lot of manual work then to put everything back to sprint, no mentioning that it is easy to loose something.

JIRA v7.3.8

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 23, 2018

Sprints are independent of boards.  However boards will restrict what issues appear on them due to their board filter.   Hence when you close a sprint listed on board A, that same sprint is also closed on board B.   But since you can't see the issues on board B from board A, there is no means indicate to Jira where to place those incomplete issues (either to the backlog or the next sprint for that board).

It might be possible to work around this by creating another master board.  This board though would need to contain all the issues as seen in all the other boards.   This might be something you could do with a simply JQL filter of just

Order by Rank desc

Which would show all issues in the Jira, not just those in those filters.

Or you could specifically create a saved filter that includes all the other filters that the other boards are using.  Something like

filter in (10110,10111,10112) Order by Rank desc

(where the numbers here are the filter ID numbers for the saved filters used on all the other boards).

By doing this, you could create a master board that is used for closing these sprints.  That way if this board can at least see this issue when the sprint it closed, it could then theoretically return that issue to the backlog or a future planned sprint on that board.

Artem Falilieiev
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 24, 2018

That is actually good idea, we will try it

Suggest an answer