Issue with opening JIRA login page in iFrame

Anurag Mundra December 13, 2017

Hi All,

I am trying to access JIRA login page inside an iFrame. I am rendering this iFrame inside a bootstrap modal pop-up. The pop-up will be triggered when clicked on one of the responses from AWS Lex.
I am able to access the JIRA homepage specific to my company. But while trying to login, I am getting blank page. When checked in console in developer tools, I am getting below error:

Error:
Refused to display 'https://id.atlassian.com/login?continue=https%3A%2F%2Fcompanyname.atlassian.net%2Flogin%3FredirectCount%3D1%26dest-url%3D%252Fsecure%252FDashboard.jspa' in a frame because it set 'X-Frame-Options' to 'sameorigin'.

I already tried hosting on AWS EC2, but it didn't work.

Quick help/insights will be highly appreciated.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2017

Jira (and the other Atlassian tools) are not designed or built to be used in iFrames.  You will find that the basics can work (anonymous read), but as soon as you try to do anything interactive, all sorts of interesting failures occur.

A lot of their javascript and internal templates would need to be re-written to enable iframe support, and Atlassian have no intention of doing this, as there's no perceived value in it.

I'm afraid the answer to this question is "forget the iframe, link to Jira and open it in a new window"

Anurag Mundra December 14, 2017

Thanks Nic for a quick reply. By any chance, can we capture the close event of new window? Basically, we want to bring the control back to AWS Lex bot once person closes the pop-up/new window. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 15, 2017

I don't know of a way to do that.

Suggest an answer