Issue with Script Runner post reboot, after recent plugin upgrade.

Hi guys - I was wondering if you guys have seen this issue before::

I've recently rebooted my Jira 6 installation after upgrading Script Runner to 2.1.12, it was all working fine for a few days, then we rebooted the physical server - and since then, Script Runner won't start up at all. We've changed the searchers for all 6 custom fields and switched then between the natural text searcher and free text searcher, but it looks like it's failing before it even gets to that point.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this in Jira 6.0.6?

2013-09-20 05:55:02,529 Thread-33 WARN      [onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl] Failed to create searcher custom field. Can happen during upgrades.
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getCustomFieldSearcher(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.<init>(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.<init>(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CustomFieldCache.cloneCustomFields(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CustomFieldCache.getAllCustomFields(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CopyOnWriteCustomFieldCache.getAllCustomFields(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getAllCustomFields(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager$ Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl.createIndexingCustomField(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy:500)  <+3>
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(
	at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.invokeMethodOnCurrentN(
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl.this$dist$invoke$1(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl$1.methodMissing(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy)  <+3>
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMissingMethod(
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokePropertyOrMissing(
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaClassSite.callCurrent(
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl$
	at Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.JiraUtils.loadComponent(
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.JiraUtils.loadComponent(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.loadSearcher(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldSearcher(
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl$CustomFieldSearcherLazyRef.create(
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference$InternalReference.create(
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(
	... 40 more
2013-09-20 05:55:03,013 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Plugin system started in 0:00:39.361
2013-09-20 05:55:03,029 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]

Best regards,


4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

Disabled natural text searchers and uninstalled script runner.

Restarted, then installed 2.14, which installed successfully and started up - at which point I re-enabled natural text searchers.

For some reason wouldn't work when both were installed

Hi the first link is a previous version, which is throwing quite a different error.

It was actually fine after an upgrade, it was only after restarting that it went completely wrong.

Currently the plugin is actually required for all of our workflows - removing and reinstalling doesn't work. Hopefully Jamie is aware of this issue.

Have logged GRV-338, as I don't think it's related to upgrading jira so much.

Hi Scott,

The logfile says: Failed to create searcher custom field, but unfortunally not which field causes the error.

I think the problem results from Zephyr's customfield (Teststep Field Typ)

The fields textsearcher was initially set to nothing. As a textseracher you can choose between nothing and the Zephyre searcher.

I tried a lot (SR 2.14, and I disabled the Zephyr) but got no solution. At least I deinstalled the script runner.


It is not Zephyr's customfield (Teststep Field Typ)

I got this error during an other update where Zephyr was not nstalled.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Sign up to answer
Community showcase
Published Monday in Jira Software

Implementing Jira in Small Business

Introduction This article will give insight on how a small software development department implemented Atlassian products to enhance and streamline the business process. The privately held company h...

302 views 2 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you