Issue with Script Runner post reboot, after recent plugin upgrade.

Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 19, 2013

Hi guys - I was wondering if you guys have seen this issue before::

I've recently rebooted my Jira 6 installation after upgrading Script Runner to 2.1.12, it was all working fine for a few days, then we rebooted the physical server - and since then, Script Runner won't start up at all. We've changed the searchers for all 6 custom fields and switched then between the natural text searcher and free text searcher, but it looks like it's failing before it even gets to that point.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this in Jira 6.0.6?

2013-09-20 05:55:02,529 Thread-33 WARN      [onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl] Failed to create searcher custom field. Can happen during upgrades.
com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$InitializationException: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:149)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.get(LazyReference.java:112)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference.get(ResettableLazyReference.java:87)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.getCustomFieldSearcher(CustomFieldImpl.java:1807)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.<init>(CustomFieldImpl.java:249)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl.<init>(CustomFieldImpl.java:222)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CustomFieldCache.cloneCustomFields(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:730)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CustomFieldCache.getAllCustomFields(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:717)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager$CopyOnWriteCustomFieldCache.getAllCustomFields(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:621)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getAllCustomFields(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:417)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldObjects(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:412)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.CustomFieldManager$getCustomFieldObjects.call(Unknown Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCall(CallSiteArray.java:42)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:108)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.call(AbstractCallSite.java:112)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl.createIndexingCustomField(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy:500)  <+3>
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:90)
	at groovy.lang.MetaMethod.doMethodInvoke(MetaMethod.java:233)
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1054)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.ScriptBytecodeAdapter.invokeMethodOnCurrentN(ScriptBytecodeAdapter.java:78)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl.this$dist$invoke$1(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl$1.methodMissing(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy)  <+3>
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.reflection.CachedMethod.invoke(CachedMethod.java:90)
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMissingMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:811)
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokePropertyOrMissing(MetaClassImpl.java:1103)
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:1056)
	at groovy.lang.MetaClassImpl.invokeMethod(MetaClassImpl.java:884)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.PogoMetaClassSite.callCurrent(PogoMetaClassSite.java:66)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.CallSiteArray.defaultCallCurrent(CallSiteArray.java:46)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:133)
	at org.codehaus.groovy.runtime.callsite.AbstractCallSite.callCurrent(AbstractCallSite.java:137)
	at com.onresolve.jira.groovy.ScriptManagerImpl$1.run(ScriptManagerImpl.groovy:395)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.JiraUtils.loadComponent(JiraUtils.java:96)
	at com.atlassian.jira.util.JiraUtils.loadComponent(JiraUtils.java:91)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.loadSearcher(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:286)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.managers.DefaultCustomFieldManager.getCustomFieldSearcher(DefaultCustomFieldManager.java:273)
	at com.atlassian.jira.issue.fields.CustomFieldImpl$CustomFieldSearcherLazyRef.create(CustomFieldImpl.java:2101)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.ResettableLazyReference$InternalReference.create(ResettableLazyReference.java:140)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference$Sync.run(LazyReference.java:321)
	at com.atlassian.util.concurrent.LazyReference.getInterruptibly(LazyReference.java:143)
	... 40 more
2013-09-20 05:55:03,013 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.plugin.manager.DefaultPluginManager] Plugin system started in 0:00:39.361
2013-09-20 05:55:03,029 localhost-startStop-1 INFO      [atlassian.jira.startup.JiraStartupLogger]

Best regards,

Scott

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2013

Disabled natural text searchers and uninstalled script runner.

Restarted, then installed 2.14, which installed successfully and started up - at which point I re-enabled natural text searchers.

For some reason wouldn't work when both were installed

0 votes
Deleted user October 8, 2013

Edit:

It is not Zephyr's customfield (Teststep Field Typ)

I got this error during an other update where Zephyr was not nstalled.

0 votes
Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 25, 2013

Have logged GRV-338, as I don't think it's related to upgrading jira so much.

Deleted user October 7, 2013

Hi Scott,

The logfile says: Failed to create searcher custom field, but unfortunally not which field causes the error.

I think the problem results from Zephyr's customfield (Teststep Field Typ)

The fields textsearcher was initially set to nothing. As a textseracher you can choose between nothing and the Zephyre searcher.

I tried a lot (SR 2.14, and I disabled the Zephyr) but got no solution. At least I deinstalled the script runner.

0 votes
RambanamP
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013
Scott Harman
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 19, 2013

Hi the first link is a previous version, which is throwing quite a different error.

It was actually fine after an upgrade, it was only after restarting that it went completely wrong.

Currently the plugin is actually required for all of our workflows - removing and reinstalling doesn't work. Hopefully Jamie is aware of this issue.

Suggest an answer