Issue view screen shows collapsed custom field text . How to show full length name?

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

using - JIRA 5.2.11v standalone

In JIRA issue view screen, Custom field name's text are collapsing as its lenght is bit longer.

How can we keep it to appear with total lenght instead of collapse ?

Example:

JIRA issue view screen.

tab1 | tab2 | tab3 |

Custom Field1 Name Te...

Custom Field2 Name v...

Custom Field3 Name co...

I can't reduce the field name as it is necessary to keep full name.

Can you please suggest me which template i have to update to achieve this or any way to resolve this.

Thank You

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 18, 2013

Dear Dhaval,

It is true that in JIRA 5.2.x, long custom field name will be truncated in the Issue View Screen. There's an existing bug raised to address this behavior, kindly see the bug report for more details on the matter:
- https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29671

Since this is the case, there are 2 possible workaround for us to fix this issue, which are:
- upgrade your JIRA instance to JIRA 6 or above. Note that the bug has been fixed in the said version. Or;
- Try to apply the JavaScript suggested by Renjith: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29671?focusedCommentId=433243&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-433243

Hope that this will help!

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Many thanks Ahmad :)

that link's javascript is resolved my issue.

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Thanks Daval, it's great to know that it helps!

Have a pleasant day.

Cheers.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Hi Ahmad,

Just one weired thing, it appears correctly. After actioning transition (submit transition) when focus back to the issue view screen then it shows truncated cusotmfield name. when i do refresh the screen then it shows wrapped text correctly.

Does it limitation or any provison on this case?

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Dear Dhaval,

Kindly note that the workaround implemented is more like a 'hackish' way, means that we are altering the width of the custom field name area by using the JavaScript.

Anyway since the custom field name gets truncated again after transitioning an issue to a new status, I am suspecting that probably the implemented JavaScript is not getting picked up after executing a workflow transition. Hence refreshing the issue page fixed the problem again, since the JS is loaded by JIRA when the issue page is reloaded.

Since this is the case, I believe that a clean solution for us is to upgrade JIRA to a later version, which is JIRA 6 or above.

Though it's not much, I hope that it helps.

Cheers.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

ya,right.. permanant solution would be upgrade...

Faisal
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Dear Dhaval,

Yes apparently a clean cut solution for us to fix the truncated custom field name is to upgrade your JIRA instance to JIRA 6 or above. Probably before upgrading the production instance, you may try to perform a test upgrade in a test environment first to verify if the problem is fixed after the upgrade.

Anyway, I hope that the info supplied on the matter helps!

Suggest an answer