Issue type definition

Giovanny MACARTHUR July 20, 2021

I would like to use the Atlassian issue type definitions. Can someone point me to the official list of issue types and their corresponding definitions? 

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jonas Ekström
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 20, 2021
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

And another one - Understanding-issue-types-in-jira 

Like Giovanny MACARTHUR likes this

Thank you Jonas. It is interesting that I don't see Spike or Defect as standard issue types. I thought those were (Defect being for production as opposed to bug being intrasprint). Any ideas from the team on the above types missing? 

Thank you @Jack Brickey 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2021

Those are not issue types within the Jira portfolio. You could create them and associate to one of the defined issue types (story, task…).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 20, 2021

Jira's default issue types were defined and built in when Jira was first written and people were mostly using it as a simple issue tracker.  The default list is kept short because presenting someone with all one hundred and eleventy twelve issue types you might want to use is confusing.  There's plenty of Jira uses that don't have Spikes or Defects, so why would you land them on people who don't need them?  Far better to start with a short list of very obvious ones, and have people add when they need other types.

Suggest an answer