Issue status inconsistent

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

Hi All

I observe that some of the issues showing inconsistent statuses i.e. when searched they show that they are in resolved status but when we click on them they are actually closed.

Although the issue has been resolved by re-indexing my question is what might have caused this issue?

Do I need to investigate any further on the root cause and is this a major issue?

Rahul

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2013

Difficult to say.

Something is causing the index to drift away from the data, but it's hard to say why.

Have you done a hard restart of Jira recently? Does your workflow have any post-functions to update data that might be in the wrong place or might have bugs? Any listeners? Any plugins making issue changes?

Is there any pattern in the data? That's the main thing to look at first - for example, if only issues in status "resolved" are broken and they've all come from "in progress", that strongly hints at the transition being broken.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2013

HI NIc...thanks for the answer.

NO, I did not do any hard restarts. But I did perform a soft restart ( stop start via Windows as a service). Is it mandatory to perform reindexing after every soft restarts?

No workflow post functions. No listeners. No plugins making any transitions for sure.

Pattern...cant comment on it for now as I have already re-indexed. I (my customer) only observed one instance where some issues closed were coming up as resolved.

Rahul

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 15, 2013

Absolutely not - you shouldn't need to re-index after a clean restart - only a "hard" one where the service is killed without a chance to finish writing any index data (and even then, the damage should be limited to a tiny handful of issues at worst). Soft restarts, including Windows service stop/start really do NOT need reindexing.

If there are no functions added, then it's something else. Shame about the pattern, but it's just a good idea to look if you can.

You should check through the log for errors of course (Sorry, I should have said that before)

Suggest an answer