Issue regarding Resolution

nayanvmehta August 5, 2014

Hi,

I have a issue with JIRA resolution field.

Initially I did not use Resolution field because it was more of redundant with status field. But due to this all the issues were seen as unresolved only. So I added a post function for updating the resolution field. which is working fine.

Now for old observations which are resolved and closed, I manually entered the resolution field values but the same is not getting reflected anywhere(In summary page graph, issues etc).

Please suggest the solution.

Thanks and regards,

Nayan Mehta

2 answers

0 votes
Jose M.
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2014

As you already have seen, Jira predefined reports, e.g. about outstanding issues and a lot more, did not work properly, if the resolution field is not used. You really should use it. The benefit of using the resolution is, that after an issue was closed, you can easily check how it was closed (Fixed, Won't Fix, etc.).

It is very helpful to use several resolutions, so you can select the corresponding one to the status. If you have different statuses you certainly will be able to select the corresponding resolution in a post function, so no need for the user to select the resolution manually.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 5, 2014

When you say you "manually entered a resolution", how exactly did you do it?

Also, are you 100% sure you are resolving at the right point in your workflow? You set a resolution when resolving or closing an issue, blank it out on re-open, and NEVER put it on any screens?

nayanvmehta August 7, 2014

Hi Nic,

By default resolution field is not visible to any user, I added the resolution field temporarily to the workflow screen. And as I was able to see the field and I had an edit rights with me, I changed the resolution.

But yes it was not done at the right point in workflow, since the observations were already closed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 7, 2014

Ah, good, I was hoping you'd say that for editing, that's not to worry about then.

So, what resolution are you setting, and where is it not coming out properly? Start with comparing the issue view (i.e. look directly at the issue) and the results of a filter that reports on that issue somehow - include the resolution column in the issue navigator

The issue is in the summary screen, in the graph of ISSUES. showing last 30 day summary...

It is showing that 30 issues are created and none are resolved but in the issue navigator table if I filter unresolved issues than it is only 13. So this data is not matching.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2014

Right, be very very precise here. What summary screen are you looking at? What filter are you using in the issue navigator? Do not filter for resolved/unresolved issues, just make sure that the resolution field is in the navigator so you can count and debug it.

In the Project Overview section, Summary, Issues, Reports and components are there. In Summary section 30 day issue summary is shown. here below graph it is shown that "Issues: 30 created and 0 resolved "

In Issue navigator screen, I have added filter for the selected project and Resolution : Unresolved and the count which appears is 13

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2014

Ok, try NOT filtering for resolution - we're looking to compare the issue counts.

What do you get from "project = <project>" to begin with, and then "project = <project> and updated > -30d"? How many issues overall? And how many have a resolution of "Unresolved"? (Note that the italics are important here - is Unresolved in italics there?)

nayanvmehta August 8, 2014

Overall 30 issues and r# of observation having resolution "Unresolved(italics)" is 13

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 8, 2014

Sorry, was that both filters you ran?

Could you take a look at the "resolution date" column and describe the patterns in there for the 30 issues?

nayanvmehta August 10, 2014

resolution date is showing blank...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 10, 2014

Right, that's why the graph is not showing much - it doesn't really think that your issues are resolved, despite them looking that way.

Could you tell us what the other 17 issues are showing in the resolution column?

Then could you try reindexing (at least the project(s) they're in, but ideally everything) and see if that changes things?

nayanvmehta August 11, 2014

All 17 are in resolved state and I tried reindexing but it didn't work.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 11, 2014

That's not quite what I asked. "Resolved state" is not important here, I asked what they are showing in the resolution column

Re-indexing not helping has ruled on thing out though, that's always a helpful test (or even fix)

nayanvmehta August 11, 2014

Resolution Value is Resolved(Custom value which we defined as per our requirement)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 15, 2014

Sorry for the delay!

So, most of this sounds right, and your index is working. However. The "resolved vs created" graph is not going to work without the resolution date being filled.

How did you enter the 17 resolved issues? I'm guessing you imported them, as they have no resolution date.

Suggest an answer